Chapter 7

Suzy snuggled in her favorite PJs, slurping down hot cocoa and marshmallows. Few days after the terrible break-up with Jake, she was at their home in Trenton. Her mother was home and she needed to see her. She couldn't tell her mom what was bothering her, though, but even seeing her and being around her helped her a lot.

Her mother had been her pillar of strength and support. Her father had been a fun parent, a jolly and kind man. He had loved Suzy and spoiled her rotten. Their parents loved each other and their home was full of laughter and love.

Until one cold February night, just a week after her twelfth birthday. Two officers came to their house in the middle of the night. The children were in bed, but Suzy had snuck out when she had heard the commotion below.

Her father, Sergeant Colin Vance Ford, was killed that night in the line of duty by robbers who had been escaping after robbing a department store. His bravery in trying to prevent the robbery had cost him his life.

After their father's death, her mother, Dina, hadn't spoken for many months. Suzy herself took a long time to come to terms with the fact that her dad was no more. She had been distraught and lost, but she had to pull herself together for her family's sake. Her brother Rob was only five and he probably didn't even know where his dad was and why his mom now always kept to her room.

Slowly, Dina had overcome her disability and started moving up and about. She was now an active member of their little community in Trenton. Dina was also a wonderful cook, Suzy was glad that she took some time out to visit her.

Even if she had come just to get over Jake.

She had cried herself to sleep every night since that day when she had broken up with him. She still remembered the anger and heat in his eyes, though what registered most was the flash of pain she had seen, hinting at the wonderful, vulnerable man underneath with a tender heart. A heart that she had stupidly, mercilessly stomped in her self-righteousness.

He must hate her now. She was sure of it.

Suzy sighed as she chewed her fingernail. It was for the best. They would soon forget about each other and move on. They had had two dates and one kiss. A sizzling kiss, but still. He would hate her and then forget all about her. And she would forget all about him.

She had to.

"Honey, are you going to tell me what's bothering you? Or are you just going to mope and stare out of the window?"

Suzy watched her mom in a perky pink jumpsuit as she set out to water her petunias. They did look similar with their dark hair, blue eyes and round faces, no wonder Vera had immediately recognized her from her Facebook picture.

Suzy's hand flew to her mouth. Oops! She had completely forgotten her promise to Vera, Jake's mom, about coming over with her mom for Thanksgiving. She gave a sigh and got up from her couch.

Fat chance of that happening now. She had to come up with an excuse to get out of her promise and apologize to Vera on Facebook.

She brushed off the crumbs from a muffin she was eating that had stuck to her flannel pajama bottoms. Dina walked in from the garden and sighed at the mess her daughter had made. Suzy gave a sheepish smile and set about brushing the crumbs from the couch.

Dina came up to Suzy. "So, what's wrong?"

"Nothing, mum." Suzy made herself busy straightening the couch cushions.

Dina sat on a chair across the couch. "You can tell me, sweety. Is this about a boy?"

Suzy sneaked a peek at her mom and her mom saw the misery on her face. "Sit, sweety. Tell me what happened."