Chapter 10

Suzy was recounting the details to a young police officer. He was cute, blue-eyed and with curly blond hair. He took notes and enquired of Suzy if anyone had an agenda against her. Her home had been vandalized, but this wasn't done by thieves, as they had had more fun destroying her meager possessions than stealing them.

Suzy shook her head. She didn't know anyone malicious enough to harm her.

Suzy was thankful for Gwen's presence, as she took charge of the situation. After the officers left, she helped Suzy make her room habitable. The turned over the mattress, swept the room and cleaned up the mess. Her TV was relegated to the trash.

Suzy took some solace in the fact that the family pictures that she carried were untouched in her drawer.

After straightening up the room which took most of the night, she and Gwen collapsed into bed, exhausted beyond belief.

#

"Do you know that a woman's home was burgled last night? A Suzy Ford of Brooklyn."

Jake's nostrils flared as he stared at his best friend, Teddy. He looked back at Jake dispassionately. Teddy had received an earful from Jake for discussing Jake's business in front of Chloe.

Chloe looked less sharp today as she practically slouched on her chair. Chloe, Teddy and Jake were again discussing their arrest of the Marauders Gang last night. The Chief had left them to their own devices.

Suzy's home was burgled? Jake couldn't let the jolt that he felt on receiving this piece of news register on his face. He felt a bit sorry for snapping at Suzy yesterday. He had made grand plans to brush her off as a nobody if and when they met next, but seeing Suzy, and that too, dressed as a policewoman, had snapped his tenacious control. Jake shot a meaningful look at Teddy and he nodded slightly, promising Jake more details later.

Chloe yawned and hunched on the desk. "Why are we discussing this, now?" she asked Teddy.

"Well, it seems like an awful coincidence, doesn't it? The same night that we rounded up the gang members a woman's house was burgled? The Marauders is the biggest gang operating in Brooklyn and they're bound to be pissed. Don't you think that the burglary at this woman's house was quite coincidental? Was she connected to the Gang, maybe?"

Jake snorted. The idea that Suzy was involved in anything illicit was ridiculous. "I don't agree at all. It could be just a coincidence."

"How goes the Marauders investigation?" Jake asked Chloe.

She sighed. "Well, after the cops rounded The Marauders, a few of them have gone underground. It'll take some time."

"What happened to the fresh-faced lad you were pursuing to get the leads?" Teddy asked.

"Well, he's missing since last night. A man named Bert Thomas. I still think if we can get him on our side we can crack open this case and put the Gang behind the bars. He's Busconi's right-hand man, after all."

"Hmm, we're running out of options, Chloe. We need to get track down this Bert Thomas as soon as possible. The sooner we gather evidence against the Marauders and Joe Busconi, the better. Those buggers are everywhere." Jake said to Chloe.

Chloe slumped back in the chair and mumbled that she would do her best.

#

Bert jolted awake in the small room in uptown Bronx. Yesterday had been crazy. Tamara, Joe's girlfriend, had saved his life. She had driven him out of there and the gang had given chase. A few gunshots had been fired and for the millionth time that month, his heart had lodged in his throat, he was so certain that he would die.