Chapter 6

"Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle." Jake, Chloe, Teddy and the Chief were cloistered together in one of the interrogation rooms that they sometimes used as a conference room as it was bigger than the Chief's office.

Teddy shook his head. "The Marauders have been after this all along. Who do you think is supplying them with drugs?"

All eyes swiveled to Chloe who shrugged an elegant shoulder. She was dressed in a shirt and slacks, her clothes much more subdued than before. "Don't look at me, it will take weeks to set up this investigation. I've just gotten the lead on one of Joe Busconi's right-hand man. A fresh-faced new guy. I hope that he would open up in due time and we will get some dirt on Joe Busconi and his gang of Marauders. Enough to issue a search warrant, at least."

Jake stretched his long legs. When Chloe decided to get close with someone, that guy was in big trouble. No matter their history, he respected Chloe's sharp decision-making skills.

After spending nearly fourteen hours waiting for Carlos to sober up and make a statement, they were all beat even after umpteen cups of weak coffee. He would have to work over the next few days. That left very little time for Suzy. Jake hoped that she was a forgiving sort.

Teddy also stretched himself and let out a yawn which he tried to mask as a cough. Didn't fool the Chief though. The Chief got up. "I appreciate your help on this case, gentlemen, and lady," he said indicating Chloe. "But the department has other cases to work on. So, let's call it a day. You might want to get some rest and recreation in."

"Yeah, not all of us are as lucky as Jake to be recreating. We must make do." Teddy said tongue-in-cheek. Jake's nostrils flared. He wanted to kick Teddy under the table, but it was too late anyway. Chloe's eyes had already narrowed.

"Yes, I had a gaming night with some friends, see you all tomorrow."

Jake hastily exited, ready to berate Teddy on his big mouth. He had enough problems having a relationship and a demanding job, he didn't need needless complications of a crazy ex, stalking him or Suzy.

Jake's work kept him busy for the next few days. He did miss Suzy and promised himself to look in on her on the weekend. He didn't want to lose her just because he was too busy.

His mom wasn't patient though. Vera Larson called her one bright October morning. As expected, she wanted to know all the details of their date, where did he take her and what did he do. Jake grimaced. Maybe his mom should head police investigations.

"So, do you like her?" Vera soon got to the point.

Jake tried to sound nonchalant. "She's fine."

"Oh," Vera was disappointed when Jake didn't gush or elaborate. "Well, I've invited Suzy and her mother over for Thanksgiving. They would stay the night with us. Is that ok with you, Jakey?"

Jake grinned. Oh, if his mother would see him now, she would know that he was more than ok. "Have they accepted?"

"Oh yes, Suzy said yes when I spoke to her on your phone."

And sabotaged my date. "Sounds like a plan."

After gushing over how much she was looking forward to meeting the Fords and reiterating the belief at least five times that Suzy was, she was sure, a nice and beautiful young lady and that anyone with any sense would snap her up, Vera hung up. Jake chuckled. It was time to meet the beautiful and very eligible Suzy.

Around a week after their date, Jake showed up at "Sprinkles", Suzy's café. Teddy had insisted that he should keep things casual. They had texted a few times, just general talk about how their day had gone. Neither Jake nor Suzy mentioned the explosive kiss that they had shared. It was, as if, texting about it would lessen its earth-shattering importance. Suzy was a texter though, she sent him Good Morning messages with cats on it. He really liked Suzy, she was playful and she had a good head on her shoulder. Plus, she was hot and he hadn't really stopped thinking about their kiss.