III

CARLA GOT OUT OF THE CAR, shutting the door behind her, and looking at Harold Jenkins' house.

     It was incredibly normal-looking, and she squinted slightly as she followed the other three up the steps.

     "Be careful, okay?" Allison said, "We don't know what Peabody's capable of."

     "He didn't seem dangerous when I first saw him," Diego said, as he led the way, "Looked kinda scrawny."

     "Yeah, well, so are most serial killers and mass murderers," Allison replied, before nodding at Five, "I mean, look at him."

     "Thanks," Five replied with a sarcastic smile.

     It was then Carla noticed the definite limp to the teens walk, and she placed a hand on his shoulder, "You okay?"

     Five nodded, shaking off her hand and briskly walking on, "Of course."

     Carla paused, letting out a sigh, rolling her eyes slightly before following the others towards the porch.

     "What does this guy want with Vanya?" Diego asked, approaching the door.

     "I don't know," Five said, "How about we ask him after we kill him?"

     He then seemed to realise what he had said, glancing at Carla nervously, but the redhead had an excellent poker face and refused to show if she was affected or not.

     Diego held out a hand, looking at the door warily, before turning around, "Look, I'm gonna burst through-"

     He then realised that Allison was gone, and sighed, "It would be nice if people just-"

     Five teleported away, and Diego rolled his eyes, "Great. Just us two now, I guess. I'm gonna break through the glass panel."

     Carla opened her mouth to say something, but Diego wasn't listening.

     He faced the door, readying himself, before launching himself at the glass pane, falling through with a grunt. Carla peered through the now gaping hole in the door, and at Diego sprawled on the floor, surrounded by shards of glass.

     Allison and Five walked up to him, "Subtle."

     Carla waited for Diego to get up, before simply opening the front door and walking through, an eyebrow quirked, "You know the door was unlocked, right?"

     Allison let out a bark of laughter, as Diego brushed himself off, "Yeah, well, my way works just fine."

     "If you want a broken bone, sure," Carla replied, shutting the door behind her.

     Diego chose to ignore her, "Spread out. Yell if, uh, you know, you're in trouble."

     Carla, Five and Allison watched him limp off in amusement.

     "Inspiring leadership," Five noted sarcastically.

     Allison nodded, "One of the greats."

     Carla, however, was looking around the house. She meandered into the living room, looking at the few pictures on the mantlepiece.

     It had been too many years since she had last seen him, but that didn't change the fact Harold had meant a lot to her.

     Growing up, Carla only had Sarah and Harold. Her mother hadn't sent her to school in order to protect her, so Carla hadn't made any friends that way, but Harold had always been a friend to her, someone her own age to have fun with.