III

CARLA BLINKED ONCE. "So... you're telling me I survived the apocalypse?"

     Five just nodded, while Klaus let out a low whistle.

     "You know, it doesn't really surprise me now I think of it. Carla you always were really strong... you just don't really use your powers that much. Do you remember that time two years ago..." Klaus rambled on, but Carla couldn't bring herself to listen, especially when Five reached down to briefly clasp her hand. As soon as Carla looked up, he was gone.

     "Hey, hey!" Klaus yelled, getting to his feet, and shouting at a passing taxi. Five was sat in the back, and offered a small wave, before they drove out of sight, leaving an angry Klaus behind, "What about my money?!"

     Carla, who was still sat down, looked at her hand and saw a twenty-dollar bill sitting there. Five must have slipped it into her grasp. She couldn't help but smile.

     To say she was confused was an understatement. For the remainder of the day, Carla found herself lost in thought. It was a lot to take in: not only that the world was going to end in a week, but also that she was going to be one of the only ones to survive it (aside from Five's partner, Delores, of course).

     And she had no idea how the fuck to survive the end of the world. It wasn't exactly something you learnt in school.

     Not that she had ever been to school.

     Carla walked into the kitchen, still in Vanya's school uniform, and had received a few questioning glances that she didn't bother addressing. She saw Grace sitting down at the table, "Uh, hi, Grace."

     "Hello, Carla," she smiled sweetly, "How can I help?"

     "Do you know where the sugar is? I can't quite find it, all the rooms here are so big," Carla grinned apologetically, as Grace got to her feet, sweeping over to a cupboard and taking out a bowl of sugar cubes.

     Carla took them gratefully, "Thank you, Grace."

     "It's no problem," the robot said kindly, before smiling once more and walking out.

     The girl used the old coffee pot and new coffee granules that she had bought, to make a mug of coffee. She poured the piping hot drink of caffeine into a mug, before adding five cubes of sugar, and stirring them in. Then she added another cube just to be safe.

     It was then Carla heard footsteps walking past the kitchen, and she looked behind her just in time to see Five head towards the stairs, carrying a bag.

     She then turned around, pouring another cup of coffee, no milk, no sugar, before heading upstairs, walking straight past the concerned faces of Allison and Luther, and heading towards Five's room.

     "Hello?" she asked tentatively, "You in here, Five?"

     "Yeah," his voice was quiet, and gently, Carla nudged the door open with her foot, walking inside. Five was sitting on his bed, the top half of a mannequin next to him, perched against the headboard.

     "I, uh, I brought you coffee," she said, walking over and handing him the mug, trying not to look at the unnerving mannequin head.

     Five looked up at her, his eyes shining with unshed tears (no doubt due to the dead-end the day had provided), although Carla wouldn't bring it up.

      "Coffee?" he sniffed, trying to regain his composure, "How?"

     "I bought some with the money you gave me, and used the old coffee pot that was lying around. It's probably covered in types of rare bacteria or something, but whatever," she took a sip of her own drink, "Can I sit?"