III

WHEN CARLA TURNED UP AT THE HOUSE AGAIN, she was feeling slightly more content, and in far better spirits. She walked into the large entrance hall, before hearing various voices come from the main room, and saw almost everyone standing up, looking angry.

      She did a quick head count, and there were five adults gathered within. The tension in the room was almost palpable, and as soon as she entered, Carla made a start to back out of the room again before someone noticed.

     However, Klaus spotted her, a large smile breaking out on his face, "Firecracker!"

     Carla looked down at his faux-leather skirt, and grinned, "Nice skirt, it really shows off your calves."

     "Why, thank you!" Klaus did a small spin, drink clutched tightly in his hand.

     "Is this the girl?" the man she had seen on the stairs before asked Luther, and she noticed a long scar running across his temple. He must be Diego.

     Carla looked him dead in the eye, "Yes, I am."

     "How does... this  work?" he asked, most likely referring to the fact she was still fifteen years old.

     "I've already told Luther and Allison this, I'd rather not have to go through it again," she said simply, before turning to Klaus, "What's going on?"

     "Our dearest Luther believes one of us killed our old man," Klaus said, whirling around to face Luther with a mocking grin but cold eyes.

     Luther opened his mouth to protest, but Klaus waved his hand dismissively, as if to shut him up, "Don't bother. Carla and I will try to get the miserable prick to talk."

     Klaus walked out, taking a swig of the drink in his hand, and Carla turned to face the other four, "Uh, I'm gonna..." she awkwardly pointed to where Klaus had left, before turning on her heel and swiftly following him out, outwardly cringing at the situation.

     They settled in a massive dining room, with a high ceiling and a large table, as well as a bar. Klaus put the urn on the bar's marble surface, taking a few steps back, before bending at the waist to be eye-level with it.

     "Listen up, old man. You know, if I was murdered, and one of my sons- adopted! – sons happened to be able to communicate with the dead, I might think about," he let out a bitter chuckle, taking a few steps away, before throwing his arms in the air, "I don't know... manifesting !"

     Not wanting to disturb him, Carla sat on the table, laying out on it and admiring the intricate designs on the ceiling. Her hands remained clasped over her abdomen, and she allowed her eyes to flutter shut as she listened to Klaus continue to talk at  the ashes of his father.

     "Give me an angry ghost lecture, tell everyone whodunnit, and find eternal peace. Eternal peace is probably overrated," he let out a loud groan, a long pause forming before he spoke again, "C'mon now, Reggie, any time now."

     "C'mon, c'mon, chop chop!" Klaus broke the prolonged silence by angrily yelling, startling Carla and causing her to sit bolt upright, looking over at him in a mix of pity, disdain and alarm, "You always were a stubborn bastard! I don't know about you, but I need a drink."

     She watched as he reached across the bar, his arm knocking over the urn, spilling the ashes all over the counter. Klaus took a step back, letting out a wild laugh of horror, while Carla jumped down from the table, walking over to help him sweep the ashes back into the urn.

     "Klaus," she began, cautiously, peering at him, "are you... okay?"

     "Me? Okay? Of course, why wouldn't I be?" he took a pack of cigarettes out of his coat, but upon seeing Carla's face, hesitated.

IGNIS : the umbrella academy [COMPLETE]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें