l.h. part three

It was a little disheartening and Luke was almost offended by how easy it was to convince the boys to let him run off with some girl he barely knew. Like, he’d expected them to be excited for him and all but he thought they might have put up a bit of a fight considering this was supposed to be their night away in Vegas.

Only a small part of him really cared though because the other part couldn’t focus on anything besides Hadley who was still holding on to his hand tightly and laughing at his friends (and to be honest if Luke didn’t know them he’d probably laugh too because he knew that the four of them were complete idiots especially when they were together). With one final nod of approval Luke shrugged his shoulders, shot Hadley a quick smile, and led them out of the club.

Once they were outside Luke suddenly realised that he was totally out of his depth. Not only did he have no idea where they were, he also had no idea where anything else was. He turned once again to Hadley who was already looking up at him, laughing at his bewildered expression.

“Come on birthday boy, I know this place like the back of my hand; let’s go do something exciting.” Luke motioned for her to lead the way and that’s exactly what she did.

Luke didn’t want to admit it but he was a little bit disappointed when she let go of his hand so that she could loop her arm through his. While Hadley weaved her way through people Luke took the chance to get a good look at her.

Even though he knew that she was older than him if he’d met her any other way he wouldn’t have thought that. She had the demeanour of a five year old, everything was amazing to her and he could tell by the way her eyes lit up and the smile that never seemed to leave her face. Her long hair fell in waves down her back and even though it clearly bothered her when it fell into her eyes she refused to tie it up. She was beautiful, but not in that superficial way (although he couldn’t help but marvel at the way the lights around them cast shadows and patterns on her nearly flawless face); it was cheesy but he could tell that she had a beautiful soul and that she was a genuinely incredible person.

Hadley knew that Luke thought she couldn’t tell that he was staring, but she could; she didn’t need to turn and look at him to know that his blue eyes were trained on her. Hadley was nineteen and she’d been living and working in Vegas since she was twelve; needless to say Hadley had come across quite a few people in that time but she didn’t think that she’d ever met someone as good looking as Luke. He looked more like a male model than he did an eighteen year old boy but somehow, despite how incredibly attractive he was, he wasn’t intimidating (she thought it might have had something to do with the Australian accent but she wasn’t sure yet). He seemed like a complete dork but it was endearing, Hadley had always had a soft spot for guys who were a little different.

“Where exactly are you taking me?” Luke asked her after they’d been walking for a little while.

Hadley let out a laugh, noticing that their first stop was not too far ahead of them. “I’m taking you to see a goddess birthday boy.”

“Two in the same night? That seems a little greedy to me.” Luke replied without skipping a beat, a smirk making its way onto his face.

Hadley stopped in her tracks and turned to face him, unable to stop a grin from creeping onto her face and a laugh escaping from her lips.

“I don’t even know how to respond to that.” She told him, beginning to walk again. “But anyway, this goddess specialises in tequila so prepare to get a little tipsy.”

The first step in Hadley’s barely thought through plan was to get Luke drunk, not majorly, but just enough so that he’d loosen up and be able to have a good time. And it was a fairly effective step in the plan; after a few drinks he was still sober enough to act like a normal person but he began to open up and Hadley could tell that he was letting down his guard.