l.h. part one

"Are we going to wake him up or what?"

"Well, yeah. I guess."

"Wait, can we try and see what his tattoo is first?"

Luke let out a groan to indicate that he was very much awake and aware of their conversation before his three best friends started man handling him in an attempt to find his SoulMates tattoo. Reluctantly he opened one of his eyes to see Ashton, Calum, and Michael all standing beside his bed; all with different expressions. Michael had a devious grin on his face, Ashton was giving the purple haired boy a concerned look, and Calum had a wide smile on his face.

"You guys realise I can hear you, right?" Luke asked, reaching up to try and rid his eyes of the sleep that had collected while he was, well, asleep.

Michael's eyes widened for a moment, and Luke thought that maybe the older boy was worried about getting caught, but that was before he lunged at Luke. Michael landed virtually on top of the blonde boy and grabbed his left arm, not even caring that he was sitting on him.

"What the hell are you doing?" Luke asked, tugging his wrist in an attempt to free it from Michael's grasp. "Jesus Christ, let go of me."

Luke frantically looked to Ashton and Calum for support but they just shrugged and watched on, curious about the way Michael was acting but not really worried about it.

"Guys, it's safe to say that Luke got the lamest tattoo." Michael laughed turning Luke's wrist so that everyone could see the small design in red ink.

All the boys crowded around and Michael finally shifted so that he was sitting beside Luke instead of on top of him. On the underside of Luke's left wrist was the letter 'K' and a heart, much like that of a playing card.

On the one hand Luke was kind of disappointed; all the other boys had really cool tattoos and so did their SoulMates, and Luke thought his was pretty boring in comparison. On the other hand he was kind of thankful; he was pretty sure that there couldn't be too many things that potentially matched up with a tattoo like that, which would make finding his soul mate a lot easier.

The other guys had been having a conversation the whole time Luke was off in his own little world but he couldn't seem to figure out what the hell was going on so he just rolled his eyes and got out of bed. He left the three of them in his room as he made his way to the bath room and locked the door behind him.

Standing in front of the mirror he took in his appearance, looking for any noticeable sign that he was another year older. There was a light dusting of stubble lining his jaw but he knew that was just because he'd gotten lazy and neglected to shave for a few days. There were dark smudges under his eyes from pulling all-nighters for uni and taking on extra shifts at work. All in all he didn't look any different than he had the day before which he guessed made sense because, sure, he was now eighteen but it really had only been one day since he was seventeen.

Things didn't change that fast.

He looked down to his wrist, his eyes finding the tattoo easily enough. Unlike all the other guys (excluding Calum's illegal tattoos), Luke's was in colour. The bright red stood out like a beacon on the pale flesh of his forearm and he carefully traced his finger over the pattern. He didn't know why he'd thought that it would hurt but he was pleasantly surprised that it didn't.

Luke was the youngest of all of his friends and therefore the last to get his tattoo courtesy of the SoulMates system. He didn't know how to feel about the system because all his friends had vastly different reactions to it and his family hadn't been much help. Despite everything it had all worked out for the other boys so Luke was leaning more towards excited than anything else.