Chapter One

Hope you guys like chapter one! On the side is a picture of how I thought Peyton would look like (: - Megan

          It has always been a mystery to me why people feel the need to be better than everybody else. People define themselves based who idolizes them. Nobody gives a thought on how those people idolizing them got to be in a place so far below. In the end, I don’t think there could ever be only one person that excels above the rest. Why it is, exactly, that I feel the need to constantly showcase perfection, I don’t know.

Florida was a haven for me. It was warm and beautiful and invincible. My favorite part, though, was the rain. The sun could be beaming one minute, and only a few later, there could rain splattering onto the sunbaked pavements. It refreshes everything, breathes life into the dry air. That is only one reason why it killed me inside to be leaving. I’d be parting with my rain.

I had just finished packing my blue suitcase when my mother suddenly screamed from the kitchen, “Peyton, get downstairs, you’re going to be late for your plane!”

That very same plane would take me to the start of my new life as a boarding student. Apparently, my high school lacks teachers of structure and the learning material I needed to thrive. I was being sent to a boarding school in Massachusetts, the Milton Academy. That was a full 1,351 miles away from my home here in eastern Florida. It wasn’t exactly my choice to fly far up north and abandon everything I have my sophomore year, but it’s for the best. So says my parents. My younger brother, Jamie, is finally going to have to show his true colors. Eight years of me being the center of attention must have made it easy for him to waltz around in the background.

 “I’m coming, Mom. Let me grab my lacrosse stuff and we’ll go.” I’ve been playing lacrosse since 7th grade. I’ve never been a star athlete, but it’s entertaining and helps me stay in shape. I would have never agreed to leave to go to boarding school if it hadn’t featured lacrosse as its main sport.

With my red and white stick and duffel bag in hand I sluggishly dragged my way down the hardwood stairs. My family had lined themselves up at the door, as though I was getting married and leaving for my honey moon. Jamie stood closest to me, with his bright eyes facing the floor. I felt a pang of sadness inside my stomach, and pulled my small 8-year-old brother into a hug.

“Hey, you going to be okay, buddy? I’ll be back for Christmas break before you know it.”

 “Yeah. I’ll be okay.”

I forced myself to smile at him. “You have fun in 3rd grade, alright? You’ll love it, I promise.” I kissed him on the forehead and moved on my father.

“I don’t want you getting into any trouble, you hear? This school is damn expensive, and I want those grades of yours to be exceptional. Don’t have too much fun up there, Pey. I’ll be missing ya.” His face looked calm and collected, but his eyes held the sadness.

“Thans, Dad. Bye. I’ll miss you, too.”

Mom and I slowly made our way to the extremely over packed car. It was a thirty minute drive to the closest airport. Meaning, I had exactly thirty minutes to say goodbye to everything I’ve grown to love in the past fifteen years. We drove by my old middle school, with the green and thriving lacrosse field in the back. I’ve spent countless hours out at that field, and I’d never be going back. We drove by my favorite playground as a kid, and my town mall where I’d gotten my belly button pierced two weeks prior. We saw my doctor’s office, my old dance studio, the ice cream place where my friends and I used to go.

As friends went, I wasn’t the kind of cheery person that made a lot. In fact, I tend to act a little shy around most people. I had one best friend, Kelsey, but when I told her I was moving she got really upset. We haven’t spoken in weeks. The rest of people you could consider my ‘friends’ were just my lacrosse team.

It could be dramatic to miss all these things – I’d be coming back eventually. Small trips for holidays and summer vacations, but I’d only be really home when I graduate from this goddamn boarding school. What did I do to deserve being sent away? I had the decent grades, the social skills, the sports, everything. I was average. Wasn’t I?

The airport wasn’t crowded at all, and Mom and I passed security quickly. We had enough luggage to fill up an entire two minivans. I wasn’t packing for some vacation, after all. I was going to live in a small stale dorm room with a stranger. The experience of a lifetime.

Sure enough, an hour later I was standing at the gate ready to board my plane. I looked back at mom, with tears in her eyes. She looked so beautiful, standing there. Beautiful and distraught. “Mom, I’m going to miss you. Tell Jamie and Dad that again, too, okay?” I had tears brimming in my eyes.

“Honey, of course. I love you. Have fun, you hear me? Study hard.” She wrapped her arms tightly around my neck. I was her prized possession, and I was leaving for almost four straight consecutive months.

I sat next to a business woman on the plane. She looked around thirty, with wrinkles creasing around her eyes. She sat with perfect posture, typing away on her laptop as if the rest of the world was invisible. I hope I don’t end up like that when I’m older. I want to have a purpose. I want my life to be made up of people and tasks that make me happy, not that drag me down.

A blonde flight attendant came walking up my aisle about halfway through the flight. “Hi, dear. Would you like a snack or a beverage?”

Mom had given me fifteen dollars in case I got hungry, but I declined. The last thing I wanted was to arrive at the school looking homesick and bloated.  Exhausted, I placed my headphones in my ears and reclined in my chair. It was only a few more hours until I land. I stole a quick glance at the lady next to me; her eyes were squinted and focused. She looked broken, in a way. Like she was a wearing a mask and all she really wanted to do was sleep. I did, too. My eyes were closed but I was nowhere near serenity. My dirty blonde hair was spread out messily along my shoulders, and my Florida lacrosse hoodie was riding up in the back. I was so ordinary. How would I ever be enough for strangers above all? 

Waking up in a haze hours later I heard, “Ladies and gentlemen, we are now descending. Please fasten your seatbelts and secure all items. Welcome to Massachusetts.”