☠ o n e ☠

o n e

It was dark and gloomy outside, clouds cruised the sky in dark crowds. Sam peered out at them, begging them to start pouring rain that was bursting to come out, do something, anything but chemistry.

As Miss Frank droned on about electrolysis and whatnot, Sam tapped his pencil against the counter, his leg bouncing up and down again with jerky movements along with the slow, agonising, ticks of the clock.

When that didn't speed up time, Sam sighed and instead started leaning back on his stool until he was balancing on two legs instead of four with great skill and grace, a rebellious part of his mind noting how time and time again Miss Frank would scold him, always accompanied with a colourful image of why leaning back on his chair was such a bad idea unless he wanted his brains all over the floor. Usually after all this she would then proceed to hit him with a question that he would know if he was actually paying attention - which he rarely was, mostly thinking about his board and how really he didn't need to be here. There was no way in the rest of his life he was ever going to need chemistry.

But this particular day Sam wasn't called out, instead it was the kid with the bleached hair at the back that wore black even outside of school, even when it was a hundred degrees out.

Whose eyes shone like the full moon when the light it him just right, surrounded by a blackened sky that was his dark lashes and eyeliner.

Whose voice dripped with venom to anyone that he talked to, sinking through the skin to the bone an coursing through your blood before you even knew what was happening, much like now.

"Sorry miss but I don't really care about the pH for a solution of sodium fluoride, I'm too busy thinking about how when I die, I certainly won't think of chemistry in my last seconds on this earth and therefore this lesson is all meaningless as well as this life."

Now, there was a momentarily silence when this was said, as if everyone was just trying to absorb what he said while Miss Frank furiously stared him down.

"Freak," someone coughed and the whole class laughed, repeating it in whispers and other higher octaves until Miss Frank clapped to get them to quieten down before turning to the kid.

"Thank you for that insight, Felix." She smiled forcefully, her eyes flashing dangerously. "However, this is chemistry, not a guidance meeting and although it may be meaningless to you, others may depend on it... Anyhoo! Moving on, Mr David! What happens with a covalent bond when..."

Sam zoned out again, and as if he couldn't help himself, turned his head around the boy in the corner of the class who was now leaning back on his stool with ease, much like Sam, looking at his painted nails without a care in the world.

It was like something possessed Sam, a feeling he'd become all too familiar with these days. He suddenly couldn't look away from the pale boy who he'd usually avoid at all costs, it had been happening a lot lately. He drank in the sight of him like a man who had walked the desert for days without water, quenching his undeniable thirst. And then Felix brought up his eyes, catching Sam's in on whole movement, gray storms pierced through him and Sam flailed and fell of his stool.

Sam earned himself a whole uproar of laughter from his classmates and a punishment exercise from Miss Frank for not keeping his stool on the floor like she always asked, but all Sam could think about was the gray of Felix's eyes and how his whole body tingled as if he was on the verge of exploding. All with one look. 

  ☠☠☠

a/n: cliché will be cliché, amaright? don't judge me.