☠ t w e n t y - e i g h t ☠

T w e n t y e i g h t

They were at the park, sitting on a bench with the burn running quietly behind them. There was no one about, the autumn air a bit chillier than it should be and hurrying everyone back inside leaving Felix and Sam alone with the world. It was a Saturday morning, something Sam hadn't seen in a long time from usually sleeping until noon. Sleep was still creeping at the corner of his eyes, forcing its way out his mouth in little yawns and making his body heavy, but mostly the presence of Felix beside him was keeping him alert, buzzing with energy.

"So Vince said we'd probably head up to the mountains soon, get a little snow before it gets too heavy. I'm just hoping my snowsuit still fits me," Sam babbled, nervously filling the silence. Although Felix had become a partial member in his group of friends and they had been alone on more than one occasion, they had never spent the weekend together, and Felix had never asked Sam to meet up with him. Not like this. A date. "It may not look like it but I grew a lot taller than I was last year."

Felix huffed out a laugh, clinks of mental on the bench as he moved. "You must have been tiny."

"Shut up," chuckled Sam, half-heartedly as he shoved Felix who just grinned and took it. "We can't all have legs the length of a football field."

"What these things?" Felix lifted his legs and spread them out in the air, showing off their length completely. Sam flushed, blinking rapidly down them, trying not to obviously stare. He mumbled something nonsensically, making Felix smirk. They sat in silence again, and Sam started bobbing his knee to keep himself preoccupied.

Felix looked at his knee, raising an eyebrow. "You know, I won't stop you if you want to get all over that jungle gym over there." Felix nodded his head while blowing out smoke towards the kids play park just 10 feet away from where they were sitting.

"Oh hardy har," Sam wheezed sarcastically. The equipment there barely came past his waist, all built for children under the the age of five.

Felix smirked. "Not like that. I'm serious. If you wanna get up and walk around, mess around a bit on the round-about, I'm cool with just chilling here. I know you don't like sitting in one place for too long."

"I'm fine right here," Sam said stubbornly.

"Then stop bobbing your knee, your shaking the whole bench."

Sam kept still for seconds before he was fidgeting again, causing Felix to chuckle. "Just go."

"No I wanna sit here with you." Sam looked off, pouting and crossing his arms like a child, cheeks blazing red.
The words hung in the air for a second, Felix staring at him, cigarette hanging from his lips and eyes slightly wide before he smiled a find smile st the boy sitting next to him. "You any good at snowboarding then?"

"Just as much as I am skateboarding," Sam shrugged, grinning. "So I'm awesome."

"So modest," Felix shook his head, snorting. The cigarette Felix was inhaling was crumpled, most likely in that state from where Felix kept in his breast-pocket of his Dracula-styled winter coat. He drew out a long breath, head cast to the sky which was a pale sea of mist, a mist that also swam in the colour of Felix's eyes travelling to his mouth and back into the air again. Sam watched him, hands delved deep into his pockets and face half-covered in a thick scarf. He watched long, pale fingers play with the cancer stick; black nail polish against white skin tapping the end of his cigarette before drawing it close to his lips again.

Sam traced the way he hollowed his cheeks, bone so sharp already Sam was sure he could be cut even by looking but it was worth the risk. He didn't know when he'd have another chance. Sam was always waiting for Felix to end whatever this was, to laugh in his face and friends to come out of the trees and call him an idiot.