☠ t w e n t y - o n e ☠

T w e n t y o n e

"Isn't your house that way?" Sam nodded to the right, the way he and Felix had both walked a week ago and where Felix would part ways with him whenever they walked home together. Felix made a point to walk with Sam whenever he wasn't hitching a ride with Mia and Sam, and, well, Sam had no complaints having these extra moments with Felix. This time however, Felix just continued to walk straight ahead.

"Yup," Felix said simply, looking pointedly ahead, a crease in between his brows. Sam did a take, scrutinising Felix with narrowed eyes as they walked on side by side, Sam's board tucked safely under his arm.

After Felix had took off the other day from his and Ellen's argument he had showed up the next day as school, talking to Ellen and Sam as if it never happened. If Felix was going to ignore it then Sam was more than happy to follow up. 

"So..." Sam wasn't sure what he was going to say, he let it trail off, hoping for Felix to elaborate on what exactly he was doing walking away from the direction of his house. But Felix didn't answer, he just fixed Sam with a look that bordered dangerously on a glower and exasperation, shaking Sam to the core. Sam was almost afraid to ask outright after that.

So they walked on, Sam trying to pick up from where they left off. Idle chatter that consisted of mostly Sam bursting out with something completely idiotic, and Felix shaking his head with a smile on his lips before calling him out.

"So, what you're saying is Frankenstein isn't Frankenstein at all?" Sam asked hesitantly, trying to get his head round where this conversation had turned and how exactly this all worked out.

"Yes," Felix confirmed, nodding while blowing out a puff of smoke. "His creator was called Frankenstein, not his monster."

Sam took that in for a second, looking blank as he searched the ground," then what was Franken- I mean, what was... uh- you know. Frankenstein that isn't Frankenstein called?"

Felix looked at him, an amused smile in his eyes, flashes of silver as bright as the moon, "he wasn't called anything. He was a monster, an abomination that didn't deserve a name," he let that sink in for a moment," at least, that's what Victor Frankenstein thought."

Sam held onto his hat for second, tugging at it for something to do. "That's... really sad actually."

Felix made a noise of agreement, taking in another drag. "Makes you think who the real monster was."

Sam nodded as if he understood, when really the conversation had took some dark path of English understanding Sam just didn't have or could wrap his head around. He liked the way Felix talked about it though, how he could see all the uses of metaphors and representation, and then there was Sam, who could barely even read texts longer than two sentences due to lack of patience and focus.

They walked into Sam's street, Felix following with his hands now deep in his pockets now that he had finished his cigarette, a small smile playing on his lips as Sam talked, using his hands too much and having to stop his board from flying across the street or whacking either boys in the face.

Felix had already been hit on the shins and pretended not to feel it while Sam carried on oblivious, although if you looked closely enough tears of pain would be forming in his eyes. Thrice.

"Oh, it's my house," Sam blinked up at his childhood home, standing there all white, a big number 9 painted red next to the white door. It stood on its own, slightly bigger than the rest of the houses in the street due to the multiple extensions Sam's parents had added in the years Sam and his brother's had grown up. There was no front garden, just a paved driveway for all three family cars to fit into, all glinting under what was left of the sun.