Chapter 28: Mysteries

CHAPTER 28

Mysteries

Sarah had gotten away quickly after what she’d done.

She’d seen no point in sticking around after that. She had what she wanted – the amulet – and could do without the ring; Jozan had it now. She’d passed it to him while they were waiting for the Tresanillos girl to arrive and told him to keep it safe. He had done, she presumed, as she hadn’t come across it again.

And it may have been worth some money, but she would gain a whole lot more with the gold amulet. Its jewels must be worth a million.

She’d just wanted to get her own back on one of the Tresanillos family as well and that goal had been reached. Leroy was someone that no one could ever love – especially her, now that she had her wits about her again – and the girl...well; she was just an annoying brat – somehow who deserved to be taught a lesson.

She had actually been the one Sarah was aiming for, but little Jozee had to go and move her out of the way at the last second. That was one of the reasons she hadn’t waited for him to catch up – he had pretty much double-crossed her and she didn’t want someone like that aboard her ship.

But Leroy was dead, and she had the booty; that was what she cared about most. She had gotten her revenge and, in some ways, got a reward for it – and that was what she called a good deal.

And so now, as she relaxed in her Captain’s Cabin in the early hours of the morning – the amulet on the desk in front of her – she felt powerful, happy and triumphant; because she had everything that she could want.

And that was when she heard a thump above her head, followed closely by a shadow falling past her window.

Sarah turned quickly in her chair to see whether whatever-it-was was still out there. But the shadow had disappeared as soon as it had come and her mind told her that perhaps the member of the crew that was on the night duty had dropped something over the edge.

But that still didn’t explain the thump.

Curious and slightly concerned, Sarah decided to check that everything was okay; just so she could be certain that everything was as it should be.

Without hesitating, she grabbed the amulet off her desk, determined to keep it with her at all times, and made her way outside onto the main deck; readying herself to scold whoever was relaxing while on duty.

“Williams?” She called as the cabin doors closed behind her, “Williams, what was that noise I heard?”

There was no reply.

Belaying orders and not answering when spoken to – that wouldn’t do at all.

“Williams!” She said again, making her way up the steps to the stern, where the wheel and Williams were – or, were supposed to be.

Because, as Sarah discovered as she approached, Williams was nowhere to be seen.

She huffed and her brows pulled down so there was a slight furrow between them. Where was he? She had never told him he had been relieved of duty; and even if he was, she would have ordered a replacement to be sent up at once; and there was no replacement either.

That was when the wind picked up.

It was a breeze at first, coming from the starboard side of the ship and causing Sarah’s long locks to pull back from her face as she turned to look in the direction it was coming from. And as she did, it seemed to get stronger; blowing her hair out behind her and causing the ropes above her to sway from side to side. The lamps that were scattered around the ship blew out; causing the ship to plunge into darkness. She could still see where she was walking, but only just.