Chapter 26: Death

CHAPTER 26

Death

Pedro wasn’t exactly struggling when Maleen reached him, but she could see that he was grateful for the extra hand.

He had two swords – one held in each palm with his fingers wrapped tightly around the handle – and seemed to be handling them well; knowing exactly when and where to place his sword in order to block whatever strikes his opponents were throwing at him.

“Reunited, I see,” He said after a moment; looking at nothing but what he was doing.

“Hmm,” Maleen smiled; as they began to work together, “It wasn’t exactly as I’d planned, but I suppose you can never plan out something like this.”

“You’re right there,” Pedro laughed, as he finished off the first of the two sailors they had been fighting. The second was then easy to take down. Maleen blocked his sword, then Pedro stabbed him through the stomach; “Did you manage to take care of Sarah?”

“No,” She answered, “She got close to taking care of me though.”

“What about the treasure that they were on about?”

“Nope, didn’t get that either – but I think my father’s on the job.”

Neither of them looked to see where Leroy was, but they both knew that what Maleen had predicted would be right. Pedro knew what Leroy was like when riches were involved; there was no doubt about him trying to win back whatever precious item Sarah had forcefully taken from him.

Maleen felt a strength in her now. She was no longer frightened, no longer weak. There was nothing that could stop her. There was no time to think about what she was dong – no time to regret the people she had killed. She had to kill in order to survive herself; that was just the way it worked.

She believed that nothing could make her any more willing; nothing could send any more adrenaline pulsing through her veins, ready to fight.

But then she saw him.

His dark hair was plastered against his forehead with sweat from the surrounding heat and liveliness of the battle. His sword was in his hand; ready for use. His eyes were dark and pitiless and a smile that was full of confidence was upon his features. It made Maleen loath just the sight of him. What he had done had changed Maleen’s impression of him entirely. She had thought he was shy and a little timid to begin with, but obviously there was a rebellious streak about him. He’d never wanted to help her – that was what Maleen had gotten from his actions – all he had wanted was to steal anything she had then ditch her.

And now he stood before her with that devilish smile on his face.

The traitor. The thief.

Jozan.

“I thought you’d have figured out that I didn’t want to see you again,” Maleen hissed as they began to move in a circle; facing each other and staying the same distance apart.

“I thought you’d remember that I’m just that stubborn,” He hissed back. Dark circles were around his eyes; he looked tired, as if he hadn’t got any sleep at all that night. It made Maleen wonder for a moment what had caused him to stay up. Maybe he was worried about something, maybe he was planning something, or maybe he just didn’t feel like sleeping, like she had to begin with – but then it came to her that she didn’t really care.

Maleen glared at him though narrowed eyes. This wasn’t what she had asked for today. The sooner Jozan was out of the way, the better.

“Let’s get this over with,” She said, “I don’t have time for you and your natter.”