Chapter 27: Spilt Blood

CHAPTER 27

Spilt Blood

She didn’t cry, but Maleen felt her throat become tight and her eyes sting just a little.

He was just so still.

Maleen had never seen anyone lie so motionless; not even someone who was sleeping. She couldn’t see his chest rising as if he were breathing at all. But this sight still did not put her off.

She found herself by his side; kneeling beside Jozan in silence as they both looked down and saw what damage bullets could do. The whole right shoulder of Leroy’s shirt was soaked with his own blood; the deep red colour also spreading to the hard stones underneath him.

Maleen looked down at her father’s face; trying to ram every little detail into her skull so she could hold onto it forever. They’d have to leave shortly – the battle would soon be over; from what they could hear not many people were left fighting.

So that meant Maleen had to think of something else to do with her life – quite a hard task when everything she had been expecting to do in the next couple of years had just shattered at the sight before her eyes.

Because everything she had wanted to do; everywhere she had wanted to go, all the adventures she had wanted to have – going from place to place in search of hidden treasures – all of that had involved one person. And now that person was lying in front of her – lying motionless; unable to do anything.

And what surprised Maleen most was the fact that she wasn’t crying.

She had shed so many tears on her journey – in pain and anger as well as sadness – but now, in one of the saddest moments of her life, she found that not a single tear would fall.

But she didn’t care. It didn’t matter.

What mattered was that these were the last moments she would get to spend with Captain Leroy Tresanillos and she needed to make the most of them.

Hesitantly, she reached out and took his hand in her own; surprised at how strange the action felt. It had been so long, so many years, and somehow it was unfamiliar to her.

“We don’t have long left,” Jozan said in a low voice, “he’ll be gone soon.”

Maleen felt her heart rate quicken, “You mean...?”

“He’s still alive,” Jozan finished for her; his voice now turning grave, “but only just.”

“But, we can do something, right?” She said, rising just a little so she was no longer sitting on her heels, but rather having her whole weight on her knees, “W-we can get help...we can save him. H-he still has a chance. He can still live...right?” Maleen became desperate; her mind looking for ways in which they could miraculously cure her father. She searched Jozan’s face for any signs of agreement, of hope, but found nothing.

And that told her more than any words could have done.

That sad, unmoving expression of blank certainty – that was what told her the truth.

There was nothing they could do.

It stung harsher than her brand had done, but in a different, more profound way. Something deep inside of her tugged at the realisation; causing an aching feeling inside her chest. It was amazing how having her initial thoughts confirmed hurt her so much.

She could feel the temperature difference between the two of them as she clung onto his hand again; clinging onto whatever else was left of him. Clinging onto those last few moments.