Chapter 6: The Anoliko Lizard

CHAPTER 6

The Anoliko Lizard

Unknown to the trio, Maleen, Simon and Fido had managed to get themselves on the island of Torvicia. It wasn’t the largest place on Earth, but many people had gotten lost in the rainforest and never come out because of the density of the place – after a while, every tree looked like the other and as you walk further and further into the forest you became more and more confused.

Many people had died on this island and a hidden truth explained everything. Rumours of sharp-toothed monsters and winged-humans had been circling the Caribbean for years on end. Only one tribe – and one tribe only – had had the fortune of actually seeing these creatures with their own eyes and managing to survive to tell the tale. But this tribe was thought to have died out years ago, and so the rumours could never be confirmed...

“So...where are we?” Maleen asked, as they wandered up the beach to a wide opening in the trees.

“To be honest with you, I don’t know,” Simon replied, as he looked out to sea; it glistened with the sunlight that was beating down on them, “but I think we’ll have to find a way to get off this island by ourselves – I can’t see any sign of life out there...no hope in another ship saving us.”

“And no islands close enough for us to swim to,” Maleen added, sitting down in the shade of a palm tree and leaning her head against the trunk. She closed her eyes and sighed.

Not the way I planned any of this...’ she thought, as Fido came and sat next to her. He rubbed his head against her hand and she fussed him as Simon began to pace.

“We could always make a ship, but that would take time and where would we get the supplies? It doesn’t look like there’s anyone on the island who could sell us some and if there was we couldn’t buy them because I don’t have much money and I doubt you do either...” Simon began to mutter to himself and Maleen stopped listening. She looked out to sea and began to daydream again.

Memories.

So many of them.

Maleen usually thought about which memory she wanted to remember, but this one was involuntary. Her mind just began to wander...taking her to wherever it wanted to...

Her father. Captain Leroy Tresanillos – of course, if her mind wanted to wander, it would wander there, but this thought was somehow important...

The scene flicked before her eyes – not making any sense at all. Things she hadn’t seen before...but...that was her, wasn’t it?

It all seemed so real. Every moment. Maleen felt she could feel the wind in her face and see everything before her. She could hear the clanging of the swords around her, the cackle of someone, and the cry of another. She could feel a single tear running down her face...or was it rain? Another one splashed down on her cheek – yes, rain...or perhaps a mixture of both...and she felt something. Something horrible. Like a deep hole in the centre of her heart.

She could see her father, but he wasn’t happy. This made Maleen worried. He should be happy. They were together – she had found him – but he was still sad. His eyes were filled with fear. He looked so unhappy. Why wasn’t he happy...?

“Maleen?”

She blinked and looked up to see Simon standing there, looking down at her with a grin.

“Daydreaming, are we?” He asked, and then looked into the trees, “perhaps we should try looking for someone anyway – you never know what we might find...”

“Why don’t we just go up there?” Maleen suggested, pointing where the ground was highest. The tropical trees went upwards with it. It was like someone had just lifted up the earth and mounded it into a hill; as if they didn’t like the flat landscape of everywhere else and wanted a change.