Chapter 9: Waterfall

CHAPTER 9

Waterfall

Maleen had no need to watch over Simon – he was completely fine. The dizziness was just a side effect from when he had been unconscious and soon passed after he had a drink from the stream.

“How’s your arm?” She asked him, a few minutes after they had set off.

Simon laughed slightly and looked at the small bump where the bite had once been. It was a very pale colour now and most of the purple had gone. He was astonished by how quickly it had healed – that mixture really was quite magic.

“It’s a lot better now, thank you,” He replied gently, “where did you learn that spice thing you did? When you threw the herbs into the flame – I think I was awake when you did that.”

“Yeah, that,” Maleen looked back at him, then up ahead again, not really seeing the trees and plants around her, “my mother taught me a lot of things – one of them was treating wounds. Most of the things she taught me are done with herbs and spices, but some plants and leaves and roots can be used too.”

“What else did she teach you?”

“General stuff really. Things that aren’t really spectacular,” Maleen answered, giving a weak smile, “cooking, cleaning, sewing – the whole lot.”

“You’re mother seems like a nice woman,”

“Oh, she is...” Maleen answered, realising that she was referring to her mother as if she were still alive, “but...what about your mother? What’s she like?”

“We’ve already discussed my relationship with her,” Simon replied in a flat tone. His voice held a hint of bitterness in it.

“Oh...sorry, I forgot about that,” Maleen looked down at her feet, feeling embarrassed, “I wouldn’t have brought it up if...”

“I know, I know. You forgot...I just don’t like talking about her; that’s all.”

“Yeah...I know. I’m sorry.” Maleen said again, “I just feel we’re running low stuff to discuss, again. I was just asking because...”

“It’s fine, honestly,” Simon smiled at her, “Thank you for your concern, but I really am okay with it.”

Maleen breathed a sigh of relief. She hated seeing Simon angry or upset. Even though Maleen hadn’t known him too long, she found herself feeling sorry for him – as if he were a close friend. He had obviously been through a lot and hadn’t had parents to help him through most of his life, unlike Maleen.

She had been given both – a loving father and a mother – and had enjoyed almost every moment she had spent with them. Even when Maleen was young, her mother had been telling her off, Leroy would stand a step behind her and smile at Maleen; as if he was proud of what she had done. But Leroy had never been good at enforcing discipline. He had just let Maleen grow up the way she wanted to – not telling her what to do or what not to do – he believed that she would learn from her own mistakes and Maleen loved him for his view on things. She could act however she wanted and he would never be critical of her.

But all that changed when Leroy left.

With questions unanswered and a heart full of tears she was afraid to shed, Maleen went to her mother for support and reassurance on the situation.

Her mother gave her what she wanted – telling her everything would be fine, Leroy would be home soon while holding her close – but she refused to answer any questions Maleen asked about her father’s disappearance.

And no matter how much love and attention her mother gave her, Maleen still felt as if she were being kept in the dark; away from the truth. She knew that she could do nothing though – her mother didn’t change her mind.