Chapter 10: Across the Bridge

CHAPTER 10

Across the Bridge

Maleen knew they didn’t have much time. With every step the lizards took they closed in on them more and more. There were loads of them now – Maleen and Simon were trapped from almost every angle. Even their escape route was getting cut off with every second that ticked by; wasted.

Only a few were blocking off the bridge though. If they jumped over them, it would be easy; all they would have to do was land directly on the bridge – as far in as they could muster – but Maleen didn’t know how strong the posts were; the posts that held up the entire structure; keeping it from falling into the river and drifting away.

 “Simon, get to the bridge,” She whispered, not taking her eyes off the creatures in front of her. When he didn’t move she whispered again, “Get to the bridge – now.”

“But –”

“Go!” She shoved him a little, but didn’t watch as he landed on the unstable wooden planks. The posts jolted slightly under the sudden weight; pulling them out of the ground a little.

She waited until he had got far enough away from her, so there was enough room for her to make her landing. The lizards were closing in further and further and with each reptilian step they took Maleen became more and more frightened. She knew she couldn’t use her sword – it would only cause them to attack – but she felt so vulnerable without it.

When she had fought them previously today there had only been two. She handled them easily; they were helpless on their own or when they were in small numbers. But now...now there was hundreds of them coming at her from all directions – there was no way she could hurt one without the others attacking her from behind. She would definitely get at least one bite if she chose to attack...

“Maleen!” Simon called to her from the other side of the bridge; she had been so focused on her strategies that she had completely forgotten about actually escaping, “come on!”

Maleen didn’t need to be told twice. She glanced once at the lizards before preparing to leap over the few that were in her way.

But just as she pushed up, off the ground, she felt a sharp pain in the back of her leg.

Never turn your back on them,’ A voice whispered in her head, ‘they take advantages of every opportunity...

But the voice was too late in giving her that advice. She had already turned her back on the majority of them and one of them had grasped at the chance.

Her leap was ruined slightly and she landed on her shoulder instead of her feet. More pain coursed through her body from the impact. Fire seemed to be spreading through her veins.

She shrieked once in agony before ripping the lizard off her leg and throwing it over the edge of the bridge.

And that was a big mistake.

In Maleen’s tired and aching state she tried to scramble up off the wooden boards that were beneath her, but her injured leg just wouldn’t let her. The pain was too unbearable for her to walk on it at that moment. She couldn’t cope.