5 | tears

"Can I get you anything?"

Jared shook his head, "Don't worry about me, I'll be fine. Don't you have somewhere you're supposed to be?"

Neveah held her head down as she narrowed her eyes, "I don't want to go but I promised Micheal. I owe it to him to at least see what they have to say."

"I know it hasn't been easy but you need closure. You need to have your say and be able to move forward." Jared tried to reassure. If it had been up to him, he wouldn't let her go as he knew how much they had hurt her and he hated seeing her sad.

To explain, Neveah's parents had called her the previous evening, wanting to see their daughter. But Neveah didn't want to. They had pretty much left her by herself, more worried about their own business to care for their child. It hurt, knowing that their job meant more to them but she had promised her brother she would listen to what they had to say.

"It just hurts. I've done everything I can for them to see me but after the accident, it's like I don't matter to them at all. Whenever they are present, they do nothing more than yell at me. Part of me feels like they didn't want me to be the one to survive." Neveah spoke as she mumbled the last part.

Jared shot her a look, "What do you mean?"

"Me and my twin brother were in a car accident. I survived and he didn't. Ever since then, they've hated being in the same room as me. Micheal doesn't blame me but I can still see in his eyes how much he misses him. I can't even say his name without wanting to cry." Neveah explained as her eyes began to tear up.

Jared hugged her tightly, "I'm sorry."

Neveah shook her head as she wrapped her arms around him tightly, "Don't. I'm just glad you're here."

"And I'm not going anywhere."

"Why are you such a disappointment?" Her mother had asked

"Why are you such a disappointment?" Her mother had asked. The whole table froze in silence when he words had left her mouth. Neveah hated the silence but she knew no one would defend her if she didn't defend herself.

"When did you stop caring?" Neveah questioned. Her mother and father had both glared at her when she had spoken but she didn't care anymore. She was done feeling like she didn't matter anymore. She was more than just a waste of space. "I'm done. Ever since Nigel died, you've done nothing but treat me like trash. I'm your child, I've always been your child. I lost him too but you act like you lost both of us that night. I'm right here, I have been here. I can't do this anymore." Neveah finished before she ran out the house.

Neveah didn't know how long she had been running but found herself in the middle of the woods when she finally stopped. She eventually collapsed onto the floor, sobbing before she felt arms wrap around her. She tensed up before she realised it was Jared.

"I'm here. I'm here." Jared kept repeating.