Spilling the Beans

Author's Note:

Hello! Swag~Chan here with the 17th chapter of Fear of the Innocent Flame🔥🔥!!

Once again, I would like to thank you all for your support on this book. The support you have given me has put me in the number 4 spot for #nalu4ever! It is such a great feeling to have it in such high ranking. Seriously, thank you.☺️💕

Now, I hope you enjoy this chapter!😋👌

No One's POV

Natsu and Lucy stayed very silent as Mindy explained what has happened in the past couple of weeks. Natsu already knew this information, but he stayed quiet so Lucy could hear what she has to say.

This was what Mindy told Lucy: "It all started when I had received the newspaper I gave you... I always read it before I gave it to you. In that newspaper, there was a missing person's report that had peaked my interest. It was one for you, Lucy. I was so stupid to hide it from you! I should have asked what this was about, but I didn't... I don't know why your 'missing', but you seem fine to me. Another thing that it told me was your last name... and that your father deeply misses you and wants you back. When you spoke of your mother, the day I came over with the newspaper, I don't recall you even mentioning your father. I hope there is no problem with your relationship with him."

At this point in the monologue, Lucy has cast her eyes downward toward the comforter of the bed. She even is clenching the bed sheets quite tight. Lucy felt both deeply afraid and angry at the mention of her father. Natsu noticed this and decided to rub circles on her back to try and calm her.

Feeling his touch on her back really had calmed her down. She showed Natsu a grateful smile before looking back at Mindy, who was spilling everything out.

"Nonetheless, while we were talking about your mother I wanted to ask about it, but it didn't feel right to do so. You spoke so fondly of her and I didn't want to pile on any other worries for you... then again, I should have said something... Anyway, the past is the past. I can't change the fact that I didn't say anything..." Mindy felt so guilty, but talking about it to Lucy has greatly helped with her conscious.

Mindy sighs before saying, "Then, a man came to my door one morning. He was there to tell me that I can no longer own this apartment building and that I had 30 days to pack my things..." With this said, Lucy gasped with shock. She had no clue that her friend was going through a rough time. Lucy was really busy with teaching Natsu that she neglected to be there for Mindy.

"That's not the end of it," Mindy informed. "I-I... began to drink... because what did I have to lose? I had already accepted the fact that the only thing I owned was being taken from me."

All this information given to Lucy was starting to get overwhelming. Hearing about how her friend will be losing her property and that she was drinking... it made her cry. Lucy felt sympathy for her landlady.

Mindy stood up and walked to Lucy. She wiped her tears away while saying, "Don't cry for me... I don't deserve it." Mindy had a cold expression as she turned around and sat once again in her seat.

Lucy was confused at first, but the dots aligned in her head. Before she heard what Mindy had to say, she had already figured it out. "Lucy... when I was drunk last night, I called the number on the newspaper... I am so so sorry! I don't remember much of what I told them, but it's possible I didn't say anything." Mindy was on her knees next to the bed. It looked like she was pleading for forgiveness.

Lucy's face was blank, no expression. She was trying to process everything...

The only thing she knew in that moment was that she, Lucy, was the only one she could truly blame.

Author's Note:

I would like to apologize for the short chapter. The place where I ended it just seemed right. I didn't want to leave it on a cliffhanger and pretty much all I wanted to be said in this chapter was written.😅

I usually try to reach 1000 words for each chapter, but this one is not even close...😓

Anyway, did you enjoy it? If you did, please leave a vote and/or comment! Both would be gladly appreciated.

Until next chapter, I hope you have a nice day!💕