Chapter 58 - Plot twist

"This is huge and I wasn't even there. Ugh, I will fucking kill Jake. No estoy bromeando!" Sarah yells.

"Hey, shh. You're yelling. And this is not the point." She's always loud and I've got used to it but the people around us are giving us weird stares.

"Qué? My best friend just got engaged and I wasn't even there and you're telling me this is not the point. Show me your ring it didn't look very well in the pics you sent me."

I open my bag and take the ring from it and I hand it to her over the table.

"Why aren't you wearing it? It's so beautiful." She stares at the ring now.

My cappuccino is getting cold so I take a gulp of it, finishing almost all of it.

"This is a real diamond, right? You're so lucky, dude. But Jensen was there, right? What did he do?"

"Gosh, don't remind me. We literally ruined the man's birthday. He fainted before he cut the cake and it was just a mess after that." I put the ring on my finger for the first time since Jake put it on me.

"Wow. That's pretty fucked up. He still loves you, girl. I don't know why but I'm sensing Katherine Pierce's energy here."

"You're not. I don't even want to marry Jake." I say it out loud for the first time in a week and it makes me quite relieved, I have to admit.

"Qué? What the hell did you just say?"

"I... I don't wanna get married."

"Yet." She raises an eyebrow at me

"Yes yet."

Of course, I want to get married someday and it's not a question of time. I'm ready. It's just Jake is not the right person. And I know I can never make him happy and likewise, he doesn't make me happy. He's not the one I want.

"You don't want to get married now or you just don't want Jake?"

I shake my head slowly because it's hard to admit it, "The second one. I love him but not that way. He's more friend material."

"Then why the hell did you say sí? Are you out of your fucking mind?"

"I know. But I didn't want to embarrass him. He kneeled before me in front of a hundred people for god's sake and you want me to say no? And everyone was looking at me waiting for me to say yes. Im- imagine if I said no, I would've ruined everyone's evening." My eyes are getting wet and I wipe them before I make a mess here in front of all these people.

"Yo baby. I'm so sorry. Why do you have such a good heart? You need to be selfish sometimes you know."

"I'm just stupid as hell. I could've ended this so long ago but I didn't because I was a coward.. and still am."

"What are you gonna do then?" She leans into my side and stretches her arms to touch my hands.

"Honestly, I have no damn idea."

"You should tell Jake the truth. Tell him you're not ready to get married and you're still young. He'd totally understand."

"What if he says we don't have to marry right away? And we can wait as long as I want?"

"Ugh, why is he such a gentleman?"

"Right, and I hate him so much for that. I wish he was an asshole or at least has some imperfections so I can find a reason to break up with him."

"Does he snore?"

"What? No."

"Mierda. If he does you could say you don't want to spend your whole life with someone snoring."