Chapter 50 - New York

After nine months

It's been almost two weeks now that I'm living here in New York. And I actually love living here. It is an experience unlike I have ever felt before. Out there on the streets, I feel free.

The buildings are so astonishingly tall and eye-catching. And they encompass the most distinctive architecture I have ever seen in my lifetime. They look like they had plunged from God's hands and landed in one spot.

The first week I got here, as I made my way down the city street, I felt overwhelmed by people walking and talking in scores of different languages. Now it's the opposite.

It is truly the capital of all the new fashions and old fads. Everyone is different in their own way of style. And I feel like I belong here more than any place in America.

We all have been affected by the current COVID-19 pandemic. We spent almost seven months in the house. It was a difficult time for us especially that quarantine didn't apply to dad because he's a cop and he had to get out and work outside the house, unlike my mom who did online school. We were scared that one day he may get infected just like my grandma and many members of the family who died.

For me, I continued online school at NYU. Jake convinced me that it's the best place for me. And he promised to help me whenever the pandemic was over and we're back to normal life. I did my research and found out that it's fine. I could try that.

I wanted to get away from my past life and that was a good start. I had no one left in Dallas to return to anyways. Lucas went back to France and we texted the whole time.

I'm still not over Paris though. Once I finish my studies, I'm not adding one single minute in America.

Cheryl dropped off school. It was never her thing anyway. She started a small business with her mom and she said she's doing just fine. She seemed happy on our last video call, gaining just enough money for both of them and living like normal people for once.

And I wanted to gain some money because NYC isn't the cheapest city in the world. I started teaching English to beginner children from all around the world whenever I could. And I made a good amount of cash.

The only hard thing was to find a suitable apartment. I didn't like the cheaper ones, they were all narrow and in a bad shape.

I'm so glad that Jake was there to help me, he even offered me to stay at his place because he had two rooms but I thought it was too much. I didn't want to be a burden on him.

I found a good one for me. It was a small house of two floors. The lady was old, around the sixties maybe. She couldn't climb the stairs anymore so she put the second floor for rent. And I took my chance.

It was the most affordable one with good space. One small bedroom (only the bed and the closet fit there), a normal size bathroom with an open space living room/ kitchenette.

I love living there, and now I start to feel like it could be my home for the next months.

Today is a little bit cold even though we're in September. The northern weather is so much different than what I used to.

A cool breeze clung to my skin. I lift my eyes and look at the sky. Moon hangs there like a silver coin and stars look especially close tonight.

I don't want to think of Jensen. But his eyes always sparkle in the moonlight. And I miss him.

No. No. No. I'm not going to do this to myself tonight.

His face.

I really want to shut my mind and just focus on something else but I can't.