Chapter 20

The day was December 22. I remember it because I was awoken at four in the morning by my mom rushing into my room. I was already on Christmas vacation. I sat up quickly.

                “Is it Dad? Oh my God, is everything all right?” I ask without taking a breath.

                Mom pushes back some stray hair from my face. “Your father is fine. It’s President Lewis. He had a heart attack a couple of hours ago. Mrs. Lewis just called from the hospital. The doctors are no sure if he’ll be able to make it.”

                “What do you mean?” My mind cannot formally wrap itself around the news that I have just received. My cell phone is pulsing with a blue light, indicating that I have text messages. I look at my phone to find ten unopened texts from Sterling and six phone calls. I read over the texts, my mom looking at me while I do so. “I need to be alone for a minute.”

                Mom kisses me on my forehead then walks out my door. The texts Sterling sent me are frantic. He tells me that his dad is in critical condition. He wants me to be there with him. Mrs. Lewis is a mess and Marie can barely form a sentence. They are all on edge waiting to hear any news from the doctor. President Lewis has been unconscious for a couple of hours now. The doctors don’t know when or if he will wake up. Tears stream down my face-for Sterling, his family, and even President Lewis. No matter how much the man said about me, I still had respect for him. He was still a nice guy outside of the things he said about me. I pray to God that everything will turn out fine for the Lewis family.

                Throwing back my covers, I go to the bathroom to wash my face. I throw on some sweats and a hoodie. Walking out into the hallway, I slip on boots. Mom and Dad are sitting together on the couch. Elle is curled up on the love seat, eyes half closed.

                “I’m going to the hospital.”

                Dad speaks first, “Honey, I know you want to be with Sterling, but I really don’t think this is the time.”

                “Dad,” I walk in front of my parents. “Sterling was there for me when you were in the hospital. Now it’s my turn to be there for him. This is imperative. The doctors are talking that President Lewis may not even wake up from this. There is no way I am going to sit here and not be with Sterling. He needs me Dad.”

                “Let her go hun.” Mom’s hand rests on my dad’s arm. He looks at her, eyes so full of protectiveness.

                “I want you home by noon so you can eat lunch. It isn’t good for you to be there all that long.”

                “Okay. I’ll see you guys in a few hours.” With that, I walk out into the snow. The sky is still dark. Snow falls lightly from the sky. It lands on me in wet pelts. Everything around me looks so magical, but I know what I am about to walk into at the hospital will be the complete opposite.

***

                I have been in the hospital one too many times in these past four months. The worse was when my dad had had a heart attack. He was lucky enough to survive it. Ever since then, he has been healthier than ever. The lady at the front desk stops me before I can walk past her to the room number that Sterling gave me.

                “Miss, do you need any help as to where you are going?”

                “I have the number but thanks.” The nurse sits back down in her chair. I take the elevator up to the ninth floor. Dread washes over me. Sterling never had a great relationship with his father, but he still loved the man. He never admitted it to me, but I could tell that Sterling looked up to his dad. They were alike in so many ways; mostly because they were both stubborn.