Chapter 9

Birds chirp from outside the window. Even though the air is on, it’s still audible from my room. It reminds me that summer is near the end.

It has been about three weeks since Sterling and my first kiss. That kiss was the only one because the next day his dad planned a spontaneous three week vacation to Ireland and Australia. Sterling was not able to get in touch with me because we still don’t have each other’s phone numbers. We mostly kept in contact over Twitter direct messaging.

As of yesterday, I have decided to attend Yale as a full time student. The rumors are true, the President has outstanding connections. Yale is more than happy to have me as their student this coming fall. My classes and dorm is all ready to go. Turns out President Lewis wanted me to follow Sterling to Yale to ensure is upmost safety. How could I say no to a full-ride at an Ivy League school and going to college with Sterling?

Although, I’m not completely sure if Sterling and I are even a couple per say. Maybe I should ask him about that when he gets home. I don’t even know how to approach that subject considering I have never been involved with someone before.

Now I know how Hazel Grace felt when Augustus Waters was trying to seduce her; utterly confused and baffled.

Boys should really come with an instruction manual when you first start dating. It could really save the lives of many awkward girls such as me.

Perhaps I shall write one…

Dad has been taking it easy for the past month. The doctor said his heart attack was caused from lack of exercise. Mom has been taking him to the gym every other day. They still keep up with work in the kitchen even without the Lewis’s gone. Elle has been going through the stages of breakup. Unfortunately, her boyfriend was too over the long distance thing. I’m not sure if she has even left her room in the past couple of days.

Clothes litter my floor as I decide what I should take to college in two weeks. Sterling and I move in a week before classes start so we can familiarize ourselves with the campus. He’s visited it, but I haven’t. Everything seems so surreal right now. To think I was going to a community college and now I’m attending one of the most prestigious colleges in America. Dreams really do come true.

Yale.

I never would have imagined myself a school full of snobby kids with daddies who have money coming out their butt. Perhaps I had mistaken myself.

My room is disastrous, much so that Elle has a hard time walking to my bed. In her hands are school supplies that Mom went out and purchased. Mom liked to think we are going into the second grade and not college. She has also given us many talks in regard to drugs, alcohol, and practicing abstinence. Of course Elle and I already know all those things. When we were younger, my mom drilled those subjects into our heads. Her sister had gotten pregnant her freshman year of college and later dropped out. Needless to say, my mom wanted us to have an education that Aunt Melissa failed to continue. We don’t speak to Melissa all that much anymore. Grandma practically exiled her from the family.

My grandma is completely old fashioned. She believes that skirts should come down past our knees. One time she actually made me put on jeans for church because my skirt just reached my knees. Supposedly I was quite the scandalous twelve year old to her.

“If you need me throughout the school year, I’m not that much of a drive from you. Princeton and Harvard are pretty much neighbors.”

“Except they’re not,” I tell her thinking about the four hour distance that will be separating us in the next couple of weeks.

She hugs me and kisses the top of my head. I have no idea what I would do without my big sister. She has literally been there for everything. There were some days when I wish that she would stop asking me what was wrong. Now that I’m older, I cherish those moments. We won’t be living together forever. Some things are meant to make you thank the skies above you. My family is certainly something that I have to be thankful for.