Chapter 5

The heels are making it far more difficult than I would have expected.

By the time I arrive at the banquet hall, the benefit is in full swing. Guests crowd around the first lady and Sterling. It is almost as if they are some real life museum. They make pleasant conversation.

More people are seated at tables eating from the buffet. The whole room is erupting with various conversations.

I meet the guard at the front door. He ushers me inside where I take my spot by the bar. I make sure that I’m out of Sterling’s eye sight. He turns his back my way, I sigh in relief.

“Hello,” a male’s voice snaps me out of my concentration.

“Hi,” I greet him without really looking his way.

“Those are some manners you have. I’m Kyle Allen, the Vice President. Who might you be?”

“Piper Hanson.”

“And what are you doing at this benefit Piper Hanson?” he raises his eyebrows at me.

“My parents are here. They are-uh-part of the cabinet. They’re over there,” I point and he turns that direction. I slip past him just in time to see him notice I left.

He shrugs his shoulders and continues to survey the room. Something about him makes me keep my eye on him. He inches closer to Sterling. I see him pull something out of his pocket.

“Jason!” I yell into my hidden speaker, “get Sterling now.”

I pull up my hood of my cardigan and make my way to the Vice President. He has a taser in his hand. Jason comes up from behind Sterling and moves him away. The Vice President keeps advancing on them.

Throwing off my heels, I run up to the man and do a hitch kick. The man hunches over in pain and drops the taser. The crowd gasps and the room is soon filled with police. I duck to grab the taser that is now lying on the floor. The Vice President grabs my ankle. I scream in pain.

Holding the taser, I click it on and press it to his hand on my ankle.

He screams in pain, I wiggle free. Policemen handcuff the man and bring him outside. Jason runs back inside to help me up. I give him the taser. Sterling’s face comes into view. It reflects someone who has just been lied to. I know I’m the culprit of that face. He shakes his head at me and storms out of the room. The first lady looks at me with a look of sympathy. She knows how hard I tried to keep Sterling from finding out who I really am. My shoulders slump in defeat. I grab my heels and walk outside. The police give me the go ahead. I walk down the street, tears threatening to break free.

Rain falls out of the sky, ruining my makeup and my Vera Wang dress. Jason’s car pulls up next to me. Wordlessly, I climb into the car. I wipe the tears from my eyes and drift off to sleep for the short ride.

The guards greet us at the entrance. Jason and I are whisked into the President’s office. He sits behind the desk with his fingers messaging his temples. I stand in front of him, soaked to the bone. The disappointment he sends me is evident through his stature. I have let him down. The shame seeps from deep within me.

“Piper,” he looks at me with much authority, “you blew your cover. Sterling knows.”

“Mr. President, I had a feeling that something about the banquet was fishy. The guy was about to harm Sterling. What other choice did I have?”

“There was no other choice. I am grateful that you sacrificed yourself for my son, but you did what I addressed you not to do. You didn’t go undercover. You took too many risks.”