Chapter 17

I am woken in the middle of the night by a tap at my window. Easing out of bed, I swipe my fists against my eyes to erase the sleepiness in my eyes. I open the window to find a red-faced Sterling peering through. He has on a coat and scarf. I look down at my flannel pants and long sleeved shirt.

                “Not like I’m not flattered that you’re visiting me at 4:30 in the morning, but what do you want?”

                “I think it would be fun to watch the sunrise together. Ever since I was in grade school that has been on my bucket list. I just never had the motivation to wake up before the sun rose. Now I want to share the experience with you.” He smiles down at me.

                “Fine. Let me go but on something that won’t give me pneumonia.” I scurry away from the window trying to be as quiet as possible. Slipping on a sports bra, I grab a throw blanket to keep me from freezing. I stuff my arms through my winter coat and make my way outside. Thanksgiving is today. The ground is covered with frost making it seem like Christmas instead. The air is bitter but bearable. We walk around to the back of the White House. The scenery is picturesque. Trees scatter beyond the horizon. The sky is a lighter shade of dark blue. The Sun is slowly inching up in the sky. Everything seems so magical in this moment. Sterling takes the blanket from me and sets it down in the middle of the backyard. A guard stands a few feet away from us. I look at Sterling; he shrugs and sits down on the blanket. He takes my hand and pulls me down too. I land next to him. He pulls me in between his legs so my head is resting on his chest. I can feel his heartbeat; it beats like a drum. The sound of it is soothing and I feel my eyes start to shut. Sterling wraps his arms around my waist, setting his head on top of mine. We wait, not saying a word. The world around me disappears and in this moment, it’s just him and me. The guard does not exist. The threats do not exist. Nothing exists but us. About an hour later, we watch as the sun makes its way into the sky. The sight is beautiful. I am so glad that I can experience something like this with Sterling.

                “Wow,” he breathes.    

                “I know. It’s like seeing something for the first time. Crazy isn’t it how something that you hate during the day can be so beautiful in the morning.”

                “You just hate it during the daytime because your skin is super white and more in danger of the rays that the Sun emits.”

                “Hey,” I scold him. “My skin isn’t pasty!”

                “I never said you had pasty skin. That was all you Piper. Plus, I like when you get sunburned because it looks like you’re embarrassed all the time and it’s cute.”

                “Have I mentioned what a wonderfully nice boyfriend you are?” I say with a hint of sarcasm.

                “Only about every day.” Sterling kisses my cheek quickly before returning to staring at the morning sky. The guard checks his phone, looking at the time. He gestures for us to come back inside.

                This time instead of sneaking through the window, we enter in the back door. Sterling walks me back to me room. By that time it is close to seven in the morning. Sleepiness washes over me again. I lean against the wall nearest my bedroom. Sterling pushes back a string of what I am going to assume, unruly hair. “See you in a few hours for Thanksgiving dinner?”

                “Definitely. I would never miss the opportunity to stuff my face with my favorite foods. My dad makes the best homemade mashed potatoes and gravy. You will want to eat the whole pan.”