Chapter 18

By the time Mia, Elle, and I get to the mall at a quarter to 6, the mall is already in huge chaos. People are pushing each other out of the way. They resemble a hungry lion on a quest for his prey. The sight kind of makes me hate humanity. A woman and a teenage girl fight over a leather purse. The teen girl kicks the lady in the ankle. The woman drops the purse and the teen runs away with the purse in hand. Elle and Mia look at each other. I merely roll my eyes. The cashiers are quickly scanning purchases behind the counter. A girl bumps into me, making me stumble into Elle. She catches me before I can fall to the floor. Mia captures my elbow for extra protection.

                “This is insane,” I say.

                “Listen,” Elle says, “I’m going to get that waffle maker that I want for my apartment. Meet me outside in twenty minutes.”

                Mia and I head over to the shoe department. Mia wants to get snow boots. She plans on staying in D.C until January. While heading over there, I see Shai’s blonde head peeping out from behind a clothing rack. She is with a girl that is around Elle’s age. They head over to the shoes. Shai’s eyes focus on the leather snow boots that Mia wants. She grabs the pair the same time that Mia does. They look at one another, willing each other to let go. I am examining a pair of wild high heels when I hear a scream. Shai holds Mia’s hair in a death grip.

                Great. A girl fight…

                I walk over to wear the two girls are now yelling at each other. A few people have turned their heads into our direction. My cheeks redden when the manager stalks over to where we are standing. He gives the girls a warning before walking into the back room. Mia makes a grab for the boots. Shai pushes Mia back. Mia falls onto the floor, hand on her stomach.

                “She’s pregnant!” I yell to Shai.

                “So?” she looks over at me with a glare.

                “So, you just pushed a pregnant girl to the ground.”

                “I’m not really sure I care.” The girl with Shai laughs.

                “Well I do.” Shai is much taller than me so I jump onto her back. She stumbles backwards until the boots fall from her hand. I yell for Mia to grab the boots before I hop off of Shai’s back. I never thought that I would be one of those crazy girls that went haywire on Black Friday. Mia runs to the front counter. The shoe lady rings her up and Mia pays for the shoes before sprinting away from where Shai stands. I follow her as quickly as I can through the throng of people. We reach the mall entrance. Elle is waiting outside for us when we walk into the chilly early morning. In her hands is the waffle maker she talked nonstop about on our way to the mall. She looks at my red face with her eye brows raised.

                “Do I want to know what happened?”

                “I may have jumped on Shai’s back because she pushed Mia. The result was successful; we got the boots.” I say with a smile on my face.

                “Okay…” Elle looks at me suspiciously like she doesn’t believe what I am saying is actually true.

                After arriving back to the house, we all collapse on the living room floor. Dad wakes us up around eleven o’clock. Mia goes back upstairs to get Dylan ready. She agreed to take him to the Reflection Pool in the afternoon. Sterling comes downstairs a few minutes later.

                “Guess what? You’re famous.” He shoves his phone in my face. The screen is pulled up to the CNN news channel website.