Twilight's Last Gleaming

That's her outfit if y'all wanted an idea!

It was an exhausting hour of hiking back to the waterfall house but we finally made it. I am glad we made it here safely because as we were walking through the woods I couldn't help but feel like we were being watched. We open up the steel door. "Just sit on one of the chairs while I run you a shower." I state before heading further into the home until I reached the bathroom. I close the door behind me and lock it. After I turn the shower on, making sure it wasn't going to be too hot, I look at myself in the mirror and all I can see is a stranger. She's looking at me, showing me an expression of exhaustion, betrayal and distraught. Her long blonde hair is greasy, her eyes are no longer the vibrant green and her face looks so frail. I quickly rinse my stained hands, trying to get some of Murphy's blood off, before I rinse my face. I grab one of the cloth's from the cabinet, soak it, and head back out to the bruised man.

He is still seated on the chair where I had left him. He's not looking at me. His head is tilted towards the ground, his body is slouched. We both took a toll today, him more than I.

"I going to clean your wounds now." I say dropping my knees to the floor so I can see him better. As I place the cloth on one of his various wounds he pushes my hand away.

"Don't touch me." He mumble's. "I'm not worth your time, or anyone for that matter. I don't deserve to be cared for." His voice is trembling with every word he speaks. The guilt is getting to him.

"You're right." He looks up at me in shock. Clearly not the answer he wanted to hear. He probably wanted for me to take pity on him. Well that's not going to happen. I'm not letting him off the hook this easily. "I don't have to be here mending to your wounds or actually giving a damn about how you're dealing with the guilt. But guess what? I am. And there is nothing in this world that you can do or say to change my mind." I take a deep breath before continuing. "Now shut up and let me help you." I place the cloth gently to his wounds once more. This time he doesn't pull away. After I clean everything I tell him to go wash up in the shower.

I take off my jacket and put my hair into a ponytail and sit on the bed. I definitely want and need a shower. I stand up and look around the rest of the tiny home. There's a closet in one of the corners which I decide to examine. Inside are a couple sets of clothes, towels, blankets and food that has all expired. I lay a pair of sweats out for Murphy as well as a simple grey t-shirt. For myself I found a pair grey sweats and a navy shirt I would be wearing after my shower. Suddenly the door to the bathroom opens startling me. Murphy had only a towel on covering his waist down. His upper body was very much notable. He is well built for his size, his hair is slicked back, I could actually see his face now with all the blood washed off.

"I found some clothes and left a set out for you on the bed."

"Thanks." He says looking into my eyes. He goes to change while I head into the bathroom to wash off. The water was warm against my cool body. I wash all the grease from my hair and the dirt from the rest of my body. I am surprised at how filthy I got. However it had been almost two weeks. I soon turn off the tap and step out of the shower. I place a towel around my figure and use another towel to dry my soaking hair. I glance at myself in the mirror and this time like what I see. I am no longer a miserable sap, I am now my regular self.

I quickly get dressed and head out into the main room, where I find Murphy sleeping on the bed. I grab one of the larger blankets from the closet and place it on him. After I kneel down beside him and brush my hands through his hair. I guess its what I like most about him. That and the way he smiles and shows that there is a good guy in him. "I don't understand why I care about you." I whisper. "I mean you're a miscreant. You break the rules, you have that fire in you that you can't control. You need to prove yourself to others and I believe that is your down fall." I continue to brush my hands through his wet wavy hair. "You got so much good in you John. You care so much about people and you want them to care about you. I don't agree with what you did today, but I do believe in second chances. And that's why I'm going to forgive you. You are forgiven."

With that I walk to the other side of the bed. If there was a couch I would be sleeping on that but I am not sleeping on the floor. I get under the blanket and rest my head against the pillow. "Goodnight John Murphy." I take my hearing aid out, flick the switch that turns out the light and escape to the land of my dreams where all is right with the world.