Chapter 18

Lila

Day One

I lay cocooned in my sheets as tears ran down my face. I pulled the pillow close and sighed. The curtains were drawn tightly and the room blanketed in darkness.

The sharp knocks on the door cut through the silence. I didn't move. I didn't want to move. "Lila," my mother called. I didn't answer. I wanted Chris here. The mood swings I was having were killing me. 

I lifted a hand and reached for my phone. The bright light glowed in the dark room. Zero messages, Zero missed calls.

When my mother left, I got up and opened the door quietly. At the door laid a basket of fresh food. I grabbed it thankfully. 

Going into the adjoining bathroom, I relieved myself before running a bath. I slipped into the water feeling my muscles relax. I sighed before closing my eyes.

When I opened my eyes, the water was cold. My skin was pruned and the urge to get out of the bathtub uncontrollable. I unplugged the drain and wrapped a towel around myself. Taking a brush, I brushed my slightly damp hair. Putting on some comfortable clothes, I slipped into the bed.

My hand went to my tummy. Still flat, I thought to myself. 

Day Seven

50 missed calls.

1746 emails.

200 messages.

None from Chris. Checking my phone became a daily routine now. I was anticipating the day Chris would call. I missed him. Every morning my mother left a basket for me. Every evening I left the empty one at the door. I would sit and mope to myself all day about Chris.

Knock Knock. "Lila open the fúcking door!" Jon screamed at me from outside. I ignored him. I knew I was being a spoilt brat and my family was getting frustrated. 

After a few minutes, he left. The room was no longer in its pristine condition. It was a hot mess. I dug through my closet and found my old sketch books. Curious i began flipping through them. 

Some of these are actually really good, I mused.

I found an empty book and went about improving my old designs.

Day Fifteen

The lock jiggled and my heart jolted. The door flew open and my mother strolled in. I dropped the charcoal pencil I was using. "How did you get in?"

"This is my house honey. we let you have our own way since this is your room but nowhere is off limits to me." 

She went towards the windows and pulled the curtains open. Bright light immediately floods the room.

"Get up." My mother commands. Her tone was not one which I wanted to mess with.

"Go take a bath and meet me downstairs."

In ten minutes, I had done what she had commanded. "Where's dad and Jon?" I asked as I approached her sitting form in the living room. She had her legs crossed and held a wine glass in hand. "I told them to take a walk."

"Sit." 

I obliged.

"You are not sixteen anymore, you are a grown ass woman. You are growing a life within you yet you behave so careless. Do you think you are fit for motherhood?" 

"You spent all those years moping and whining about not getting pregnant and now that you are look at how you treat yourself! You should treat your body like a temple. You are also responsible for another life."

I felt ashamed with my mother scolding me so. "I don't want you inside the house today. Go get some fresh air."

I found myself wandering down the familiar path to the cafe. I waited in the line for around three minutes before the bell rang announcing the arrival of a customer. 

When I turned, time seemed to slow down. Relief flooded my body and I drunkenly stumbled towards the person I yearned for the most.

Safely locked in his arms, I felt at home.

Damn. Lila is like a teenager.

Another week done.