Chapter 12 - Chasing the Horizon

I slowly peeled my eyes open and looked out the window. It was almost sunrise. I never catched sunrise before. I looked out of the window. Wait. I watched sunset here yesterday. This can't happen. The sun rose to the west. I backed off. But none of these can beat me. I promised that I will fight. Ugh. My back was against the wall. 

" Michelle ... What's happening? " Dad blasted inside. And pulled me into a hug. " Don't look at the sunrise. " He kissed my forehead.

" I am the Miraclaes and I need to do this. "

" You have no idea of what you are saying. " Dad held my shoulder and brought me outside. Everyone is in the living room surrounding the television. It must be the breaking news about the sunrise. It is definitely going to be a world wide phenomena and I can never believe that it is related to me.

" What are you doing? " Dad got an old rusty box from his room. 

" I never wanted to leave. I believe I can support you without a lot of money in my hands. I left you because I had to protect you. " He opened the box and there was a shiny ancient stone in it. " It is your decision to make. "

" Wha-what do you mean? " I backed off a few steps. The emerald necklace reflected the sunlight and the light almost killed my eyes. Dad immediately closed it and wiped his eyes. 

" This is the Miracle Pendant. T-the creature you saw. He gave me this. And told me to give this to you when the time comes. It has the most ancient kind of magic. Powerful enough to conquer the world but if used in the wrong way can lead to destruction. But can only be used by the mortal Miraclaes. "

" It's stated in the promise of the Hensient. " I closed my eyes. In the rage of war, between us and the end of our universe, the Miracle Pendant is the only hope. But it's too risky. A wrong move can cause death of all. I opened it again.

" It's great that you can still remember it. I was wrong about you. You are not the baby girl I used to know. " He opened the box again. The sunlight is killing my eyes. But I had to keep it open. " It's your choice now. "

It was like magic when I held my hand on it. My body turned stone cold as if all the heat that used to be my power was all sucked off. I wore it around my neck. Dad opened the door outside. The sun .... The sun .... The sun of the west. This is what I am meant to do. The emerald stone was turning Ruby. Hot as fire. I don't need Fortune's existence anymore. But the creature ...

" You called me? " He appeared by my side. He was all coaked up as if he was a vampire trying to hide away from the sun.

" Why are you covered up? " I asked as the wind blew my hair all over my face. The sun was starting to rise up and it was a clear sky today.

" The sun of the west is dangerous. Creatures like us are melted by its prickling rays. " 

" Cool. But ... what happens now? " I looked straight at the sun. It was not hurting my eyes. The light was crimson red.

" MICHELLE !!!! No .... " I heard someone shout from behind me. It was Susan, tears were all over her face. It was a weird feeling. Everyone. My family is behind me ... literally. They will never support what I am going to do but nothing is supposed to stop me. 

" I will be fine. And I love you all. " I did not move nor turn around. I wonder wheter my voice reached them. The Ruby stone hung on my neck was like fire now. As if it was encouraging me to start mayhem now.

" Move. The faith of the universe depends on you. " The creature told me. Right. But where do I go? It was never stated what the Miraclaes must do because I am the first to accept the challenge. My feet started moving and now ... running like I am chasing the horizon.

Once Mars is invaded by the sun. War will start. All creatures will fight for survival. And the kingdom has chosen you to protect both them and all the universe. We sent you the most mighty power we can ever have. The Miracle pendant is the one that will guide you. It may be the solution but it will cost ...

Those voices keep flashing in my head. A beautiful goddess was speaking to me. She was like Justice. Maintaining all balance in the universe. I kept on running. Chasing the horizon. My necklace was buring even brighter that it caught everyone's attention. Scccrrreeeech.

" Ah ! Jeez. Watch it ! " A car stopped in front of me. Owen. 

" Michelle. If you are going somewhere, I am coming with you. "

" No Owen, please. I don't want anyone wo get hurt. This is why I am living. This is my reason to live.   Please. "

" Then this is my own reason to live. To protect you. I love you Michelle and you know that. " My heart stopped beating. Eddie's face flashed inside my head. Half of my heart was already falling for Owen in an unknown way. I tried to open my mouth but nothing went out.

" Don't forget about me. "

" And me. " It was Eddie and Carly. My atmosphere brighten up knowing that someone will be there to protect me but my head keeps on telling me that I can cause trouble to them. Carly gave me a hug but I didn't hug her back.

" It's alright. So, what do we do? " Carly said.

" I have no idea ... " I replied staring at her. More voices went to my mind. Just keep on chasing. The Miraclaes knows what she is doing. Luzino. He is watching. Luzino? Who's that? Another enemy? Fortune's sidekick?

" But what were you doing a while ago? "

" Chasing the horizon ... "

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Short upload guys. But hope you like it. Please vote and comment ! XD