Chapter 1

Hey everyone! This is my first story here. I hope you like it. Thank you for taking out the time to read!

Happy reading!

"Bye Emma!" said my best friend and colleague Ana. I waved back and set out of my cubicle to head home after the tiresome work. I met Ana in high school. You'd think she's a spoilt brat initially, but she's a sweet girl once you get to know her. She always reminded me of Merida in some ways, well Merida with straight hair anyway; for she had baby blue eyes and ginger hair. I do realize that at my age, watching Disney movies and anime was unusual, but I just couldn't stop. They were supremely entertaining, besides it's not like I have anyone to spend time with after work anyway.

It had been a hard day today, lots of testing for the software our team had been developing for quite some time now. It was close to 11p.m. Work never really lasted this long; mostly we'd be home by 7. I extracted my car keys out of my pocket; looking for my car. I could never remember where I park it, making me snoop from to another car looking for flashing taillights and listening for the beeping sound that comes with it. I looked quite suspicious that way and have earned more than a fair share of odd looks from my other colleagues. I once startled someone's mother; she whacked me with her purse. She had assumed I was a mugger; I had to apologize profusely and convince her that I was just a person looking for their car. Certainly not my favorite moment and it all just had to happen before Zach Mallory. Zach was one of the hottest guys I had ever seen. With his blonde hair and emerald eyes; he was a delectable man. Blonde wasn't my preference, but Zach can be anyone's type-he was just that good looking. And to add to all of it, he was polite to boot, he helped me with the old lady then. Of course I was tongue-tied then, although I managed to mumble my thanks to him. He smiled at me, before sauntering back to his own car. I'm sure I must have stood there for a moment or two like a whack job or something. His smile was stunning!

"Beep"-the sound wrenched me out of my thoughts as I found my car. I settled within it and set out to the way home. My black Honda Fit wasn't really new but I loved it nevertheless, after all it was my own purchase. My home, as I call it, is a small apartment in the outskirts of Washington, in the city of Alexandria. I love the somewhat old feel of the city, particularly the Old Town. It looks straight out of a modern fairytale during the holidays.

It took more or less half an hour to reach home, 45 minutes sometimes if there was lots of traffic. I put on some music to pass the time, so as not to dwell on my rather boring life. 25 now and still single, my life was rather drab. I looked okay, I had brown hair and eyes and was mostly called cute; I was rather tired of listening to that particular adjective. Bunnies were cute, babies were cute; calling it to a working woman just didn't cut out for me. Ana was still with her high school sweetheart, Hugh. Looking at them, you'd think that they were a match made in heaven. Brown-haired and hazel-eyed, Hugh looked great with Ana; balancing out the bright red hair of Ana. Hugh was easy-going and had a great sense of humor; his personality went great with Ana's slight hot-headed temperament.

I felt the vibration of my phone in my pocket. Normally, I'd ignore it but looking at the rather deserted road I thought I'd make an exception. Taking it out, I checked the messages section, wishing not for the first time that it was from Zach. No such luck, obviously. As if. It was some stupid ad for a new collection. I reprimanded myself and glanced back at the road and almost shrieked.

There was a man who had stumbled onto the road and probably lost his footing. Panicking, I slammed down the brakes as hard as I could; praying fervently that I didn't hit him. Thankfully, I stopped within inches. He had stood by now, I couldn't see him properly due to the lack of light but he looked dead tired. I stopped for a moment to catch my breath and was about to step out to apologize and ask if he was okay when suddenly, almost as if something hit him he caught his chest with his hand. I sat there frozen, all the blood draining from my face when I saw his blood draining out of the area where he was clutching his chest. Another patch of blood appeared on his stomach area and he fell down. By now, I was shaken out of my reverie; I stepped out and crouched beside him. I was terrified then, thinking that maybe another shot would hit me, but I just couldn't leave a person dying like that!

With a shaking hand, I tried to take out my phone while muttering something insensible to him-"You'll be okay. Don't worry I'll call the ambulance, just wait." I was about to dial 911 when I heard him-"Don't. It is too late now."

I tried to interrupt but he cut me off, gesturing with his hand, carrying on with his raspy voice-"Listen to me, girl. You never saw me, nothing happened."

Was he insane?! He was shot! Multiple times too. I tried to speak to him, to shake some sense into him.

"But you-"I started.

"Nothing happened! Do you get it?"-he almost yelled.

"But-"I tried again.

"Do you?"He asked harshly.

I nodded now, scared beyond imagination. What in the world was happening?

He looked satisfied then, almost peaceful and then again he looked at me, like he was determined, about what I couldn't fathom to think. He made an effort, came close to my ear and said in the most unwavering voice-"Run Birdie. Run!"

He slumped back then. And I backed away from him. There was something in his voice when he said those last words to me, a dire warning.

Terrified out of my mind now, I hurriedly got back to my car. I started along the path, swerving around his now dead body. Oh goddess! Dead!

But I couldn't do much. My heart was racing; my mind was in frenzy. Nothing else was evident. Except those words that played in a loop in my mind.

"Run Birdie. Run!"