Chapter 13

The weekend finally came and Joshua was relieved of that. He had a good night sleep and was well rested. While he wanted to stay home and stay in his bed, he had a task to do.

His mother sent him to do grocery shopping while she was on her day off and began doing cleaning around the house. She gave him a list of things to buy and sent him to do it.

On a Saturday noon, here he was at a grocery store shopping which took him fifteen minutes on bike. He dressed in his olive green wool sweater over his gray tee shirt since it was a little bit chilly outside on his way. 

He had a red plastic basket hung on his arm with a few things inside and glanced at the yellow notepad paper list for the next set of items to get. 

"Eggs, Milk — Whole Milk, Cheese, Grapes..." Joshua mumbled to himself. He read the rest of the items in his head before he looked at the store.

He began to pace as he went down an aisle to find the things he needed. 

It went by quickly. He took his time, adding basic necessity in the basket and afterward, he checked out at the cash register to pay for items. 

Joshua had reusable bags to carry all the items with him. He tied them up before placing the bags on top of the woven basket on his bike.

He unlocked the U-lock and stepped one foot on the pedal. He sat getting ready to leave, but he heard something smacked on the ground.

He saw a woman grasp for the bag that fell. She had too many to carry in her hands. Four in one hand and two in another, and he guessed the bag there on the ground was the seventh one. 

This led to Joshua swiftly going to her and aided by her side. She looked like she was struggling. "Here, let me help you," he said.

"Oh!" She looked astonished. Her fingers slipped as he took a couple out of her hands. "Why, that's very kind of you." 

Joshua shrugged. "Where are you taking this to?" he asked.

"Over there." She pointed to the White Volkswagen.

To his surprise, that Volkswagen looked shiny and almost new. For someone to afford that car must have worked in a good job.

"Could you help me with this one too?" she asked, referring to another bag in her hand. Joshua didn't mind and grabbed it. 

He walked all the way with her until they reached her car.  She unlocked the car with her car keys and opened the back trunk.

"I appreciate it if you put those in the back," she said.

Joshua placed the bags down in the trunk and she came over to put the remaining ones. She shut the trunk and looked at him. "Thank you so much! I couldn't get my boyfriend to come with me so carrying those by myself wasn't easy."

"Where is he?" Joshua asked.

"He had to take care of his mother who's sick."

The women got into her car and she waved at him. He was expecting her to drive off but instead, she sat there with the keys inserted but not revved up.

"What's wrong?" he asked, noticing her body slacking forward near the steering wheel. 

"Oh... I guess I don't feel like driving off yet. I think I need to sit out for a while." She giggled but it sounded dismayed than happy.

In the next minute, she got out of the car and stood before him. "I hate to ask, but would you want to sit somewhere with me just for a little bit?"

It sounded sudden but also peculiar that he didn't know what to respond. "I-"