Chapter Fifteen

I have no idea how I feel about this chapter. But it's here. Oi ...

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Everett took a deep breath and shook his head to clear it up a bit. Today was the big day. His graduation. He honestly didn't think he would ever hit this point; it seemed almost like a pipe dream considering all that he had to go through. But there he stood, in his cap and gown (that he was told displayed the colors purple and silver) just waiting to be escorted out to collect his diploma.

He felt accomplished. But also a bit worried. What if he tripped and fell? What if something happened and Lizzie wouldn't be able to make it? He really wanted her to be there. Lizzie had been a huge part of his life over the course of several months and he just couldn't stand the thought of her not being there.

Everett wished that he could peek out and find her, to see her grin as he walked across the stage and picked up his diploma. Well, if she even came. Frowning, Everett shook his head and focused instead on listening for his name.

"Proud of you, kid."

Charlie walked up beside Everett, preparing to escort him out to gran that prized piece of paper. Cracking a small smile, Everett replied, "Nice of you to stick with me. I honestly didn't think you'd be back after I punched you in the face that first day."

Charlie let out a bark of laughter and Everett could imagine he shook his head. "Kid, you throwing a left hook at me is what made me want to hang around you in the first place."

Finally, his name was called out and with a gulp, Everett felt Charlie gently nudge him and say, "C'mon Everett, let's go get you all graduated," before they walked out. With just a few nudges here and there, Everett arrived at the center of the stage and was brought to a halt. He held out his hand and felt a rolled up piece of paper held together by a single ribbon placed in his hand.

Everett could feel a bit of pride welling up inside of him. He couldn't believe that this actually happened. Of course, a sense of sorrow overtook him when he realized that he couldn't pursue anything else. The only life he could look forward to contained sitting at that piano.

It didn't feel as inviting and comforting as it used to. He tried to keep in mind the words his father spoke to him the week prior, but couldn't seem to bring himself back up. His breath clogged in his throat and he tried to swallow the enormous lump that grew there in the past twenty seconds.

He felt lost and as much as he tried to not let it ... his weakness drained him of his strength.

In a daze, Everett felt himself being led off the stage and returned to his seat. The ceremony continued, complete with an inspirational speech that Everett felt went over many heads in the crowd. Everett mainly just sat and twiddled his thumbs repeatedly, tapping his foot awkwardly on the ground.

As the entire crowd stood and hats were thrown in the air, Everett stood there in the flurry of excitement with his cap and gown wondering where his life would be headed.

Because at the moment ... he had no idea.

Moments later, Everett's family came up beside him, giving praise and encouragement, letting him know how proud they were. They led him away to a spot where the noise wasn't as overwhelming and the next few minutes were spent taking pictures.

Oh, how his mother loved being behind the lens of a camera.

"Everett!"