Chapter One

I feel like the end Authors Note is important, so if you would read that, that would be awesome. :)

Everett's eyes were locked on what he knew was the ceiling. He laid on his back, hands knitted together as they rested on his abdomen. He couldn't tell whether or not it was still night time.

He felt tired still.

But perhaps that was more attributed to the fact that he had a hard time falling asleep last night rather than the time. His baby brother had been sick all night and his cries rang throughout the house until the wee hours of the night. He could only imagine how little sleep his parents got. Several times during the night, Everett had listened to the engine of his father's Mercedes start up, most likely for medicine of some sort.

For not the first time, Everett felt helpless. There was borderline nothing he could do to help them. All he could do was lay there in his bed and listen. What else was there for him to do? He knew as well as anyone else that he would only be in the way if he were to get up and try to help. Of course, he wasn't completely dependent on other people; he could do a few things on his own.

He could get around the house and backyard easily enough. He knew where his braille books were and he had his mother sit down and help him with the movies; it had taken more than a week to do, but every case now had embossed letters for him to feel and recognize. They did the same thing with every CD case they owned at the time and acquired since then.

He no longer needed help in those departments.

The kitchen was one of the easiest places for him to navigate. Everything had been in the same spot since he was small. There was rarely an occasion where he had to call for some assistance in there and it was usually due to the fact that something had merely been misplaced and he didn't know where it had gone.

But in times like these, Everett knew he had no place in the rest of the house, attempting to coddle and comfort a one year old baby. He, and his parents, would be better off if he just stayed put.

Everett knew for a fact that he had been a hardship on his parents since that accident eleven years ago. It took a long time for him to get on his own two feet, as well as he could, anyways.

It wasn't easy for him to learn how to be human again. He felt like he had lost a complete part of himself. When he lost his vision, he had become fully dependent on everyone else. To make things even worse, Jeffrey had pushed him away. With Three boys running around the house, there was only so much attention that could be divided between them with only two parents. But when his impairment came into play, Everett became the heart of the family.

Jeffrey had been shoved aside, and Everett couldn't fault him for the tension that had built between them. Even though Jesse had been quite young as well, Everett still remained the focus of his parents attention.

But the truth of the matter was clear: he needed attention of his parents. He wouldn't have been able to survive without it.

Thankfully, his older brother got over it after a little while, letting his hardened feelings slide; but Everett got the feeling that the memories and resentment still lingered somewhere in Jeffrey's mind. After all, whenever he came home to visit, their mother still fussed over Everett, making sure he was okay and that he hadn't done anything to injure himself.

Everett felt regret and guilt whenever he thought about it.

And then there came the long line of emotions and thoughts that came whenever he thought about his older brother.

What did his family look like now? Well, he knew what his parents looked like - he was sure they had stayed the same since he was a child. But his brothers? They have had a chance to grow up. They were bigger now. The last time Everett and Jesse stood side by side, Jesse felt almost as big as he was; they were nearly the same height as opposed to the scrawny short little boy that he remembered.