Chapter Eleven

Check out the end authors note guys!

Fun fact: This chapter was originally supposed to be chapter six. We would have missed out on a lot if I would have kept that plan, huh?

* * * * * * * * *

Hearing a loud beep coming from her bed, Lizzie made the leap, doing a belly flop as she reached out. The phone that previously sat on her bed slipped into the palm of her hand and she quickly opened the text that awaited her from Jesse.

Coming to pick you up for school – Everett is in tow, too. it read.

The fact that it mentioned a double in that message fluttered her insides and made her smile. It wasn't an enormous secret that she enjoyed Everett's company. Jesse was fun, of course, but Everett? Everett was another level.

She was still determined, however. Just because they got along better now meant nothing in regards to the promise she had made. She would find a way to not only make him happy, but to make him smile. She had still not managed a feat such as that. Little upturns of the mouth had become normal over the past few visits. But she wanted more. She wanted a full fledge grin. She wanted to hear him laugh, to truly know that he felt happy.

The boy needed to smile; didn't he have any idea what that could do for his entire disposition? While he definitely had gotten a bit more cheery over the last little while, there was a lack of true happiness and enthusiasm.

With a determined huff, Lizzie yanked her now full and heavy bag over her shoulder and began to text Jesse, letting him know that she was ready.

Heading downstairs and into the kitchen, she read the good morning note from her parents that they left when work called far too early. Smiling, she grabbed an apple and chomped on it, waiting for the loud beep to come from the front of the house.

Her mind wandered back to the two crazy individuals that had come into her life. What a roller coaster she endured since Everett and Jesse waltzed into her life. Two new friends, well ... one friend. The other she was still waiting for confirmation.

The honk from Jesse's car brought her out of her thoughts. Hopping off of the counter, Lizzie tossed her apple core into the trash and made her way outside and to the perfect green Mustang in her driveway that she envied so much.

Sliding easily into the front seat, Lizzie greeted the two boys.

Before Jesse could say anything in reply, Everett was already on it. "Hey, Lizzie. So, I got this new tune stuck in my head in the other day and I finally got it out last night. I bet it's something you would really like." he said casually, chewing on his lower lip. Jesse glanced in the rear view mirror and frowned. His brother seemed to be acting a bit off. Since when did he make conversation? He slightly smirked. Oh, yeah. Since Lizzie started weaseling her way into his life.

Lizzie let out a short puff of air and replied, "Everett, I like everything you play. Remember? You're amazing and talented. Anyone would be nuts to say no to you."

She failed to catch the blushing, yet defeated face of the boy in the backseat of the car. The rest of the ride was fairly silent as they drove towards Everett's school. It seemed like one could hear the slightest noise. It drove Lizzie insane. She couldn't figure out why both boys were so silent in her presence. Maybe she needed to bug them a little more...

With that thought implanted, Lizzie realized that she hadn't been to the North home in close to four days. She hadn't had a chance with the out of town trip she took with her family, the homework and the two doctors appointments she had. She made a mental note to spend time with them soon.