Chapter Twenty Two

You guys were so awesome on the last chapter (even though it was probably the cheesiest thing ever and is going to get a very heavy revamp when this book is over) and I seriously think you all are great sooooo .... here's the next chapter! :D

Everett's hand hung out the passengers window, eyes closed as the wind rushed through the vehicle. Earlier, Lizzie set the radio to a variety station and at the moment, some pop song blared through the speakers.

They had been on the road for about two hours, which meant they had thirty four more to go. According to Lizzie, they were nearing Baltimore and would be there in about thirty minutes.

"Dude, I don't know about you, but I need a bathroom so bad," Lizzie whined.

Everett could feel her wiggling around in her seat and smirked. She'd been doing that for the past ten minutes and he knew the exact reason why. In fact, he strongly advised against it.

"I told you a Big Gulp was a bad idea. But did you listen? Nope. My advice will forever be ignored," he replied, albeit a bit dramatically. Moments later, Lizzie backhanded his stomach, causing him to let out a surprised 'OOF' at the impact. It didn't hurt (she was tiny, she couldn't hurt a fly unless with the use of a baseball bat), so it mostly took him off guard.

"Now is not the time for you to be a know it all," Lizzie retorted.

Everett could almost feel the car moving faster. He decided to make the most of the moment while it lasted and as a devious idea popped into his mind, Everett settled down into his seat with a content sigh. "You know what I want to do on this trip, Lizzie?" he asked innocently, making her believe he switched subjects.

She hummed her reply and Everett continued, "I would love it if we drove past some waterfalls."

Silence filled the car for a few moments. "Everett. Don't you dare," Lizzie told him in a threatening voice, knowing full well what he was doing.

"I know I wouldn't be able to see the water, however, hearing it would be amazing don't you think? All I've ever heard are streams ..."

"Everett!"

"...trickling around my house and it would be cool ..."

"I will kick you out of this car RIGHT NOW."

"...to hear the rush of a waterfall and -"

"Oh thank heavens, a gas station!"

The car swerved and in what seemed like the blink of an eye, the car had been thrown into park and Lizzie rushed out of the car, slamming the door behind her. Everett snickered, giving himself a high five.

About seven minutes later (he counted just for the heck of it), the car door opened. "I hate you, you know that?"

"Yup." With that, Everett exited the car and with one hand on the hood, he walked around and with Lizzie into the store.

"What do you want, jerk?" Lizzie asked dryly, though Everett knew she found what he did funny in its own way. Everett followed her through the store, keeping her footsteps in the front of his hearing so he wouldn't lose her.

"Beef jerky. Just the teriyaki kind. When people start getting creative it kind of grosses me out," he confessed, turning his head in every direction so he could hear what happened around him.

So many things were taking place at once and it was so different from what he grew accustomed to over the years. People in the environments he normally found himself in weren't this loud and except for the time he went to New York, it was completely new