Chapter 3

Hiccup's POV

She left swiftly without a word. Gobber tried to follow her, but as he hurried off to go after her, he lost her and Ash in the crowd. I was just glad I wasn't in a headlock anymore, but Tuff quickly crushed that relief.

"Woah. That is a definitive no. Look, if you need a beard to cry on..." He pulled me toward him and shoved my face into his beard. "...just lean on my shoulder and you can cry into my full, thick beard." 

"Thank you, Tuffnut. Thank you...so much." I groaned. I heard Eret clear his throat and I quickly found my escape. "Eret, son of Eret!" I said, relieved as I pulled away from Tuff. "Err, what's the report?"

"Two more trapper barges spotted in the stray." He replied. 

"So we go after them." Gobber didn't look surprised and I saw his annoyance. "What?" I asked.

"One day, you're gonna pick a fight you can't win." He told me. I sighed and got up, heading out to get some time alone. I needed to think, anyway. There was so much going on that even I had to admit it was a lot to wrap my head around. Luckily, I had a good spot for thinking things over.

Your POV

You were out flying with your sister. You cheered happily as the both of you did daring moves and tricks out in the open fresh air over the ocean. She laughed along, enjoying herself just as much. This was what flying was all about. You needed a break from missions. It felt great to just let the wind take you and your dragons wherever you pleased again. It reminded you of the old days. While you were proud of Berk's growth (and your own, for that matter) it was hard not to look back on when you were young and careless. Of course, there were good and bad things with those times, but you tended to try to remember the good more than anything else.

After a bit of performing tricks and having fun, the two of you leveled out on your dragons and continued on smoothly. You sighed happily, petting Nightshade with a sense of peace. She grumbled happily as well.

"Woo! That was a blast!" Runa exclaimed. You smiled at her.

"Always is!" She smiled warmly at you and you looked forward. You patted Nightshade on her side. "What do you say, girl? Time to head home?" She roared in agreement. 

"You good to head back, Shiverwater?" Runa asked. She roared as well. 

"Well then, let's get going." The four of you turned around and started heading back to Berk. You flew higher and entered the clouds to stay hidden from any ships that might be nearby. You knew there was no way you could take them on alone, so you'd report them if you saw any instead.

"So, I heard Gobber mentioned something earlier." You groaned as it was brought up. "Whoa. That bad?" Runa asked.

"Why does he think that's the answer!?" You shouted. She raised her hands defensively.

"Whoa! Okay! Not going to get married anytime soon!" You sighed and calmed down.

"Sorry, I just...I can't even see that happening." You told her. "Plus I'm sick of being bugged about it." You muttered under your breath. Runa still heard you, of course.

"And why is that? I mean, I get the second bit, but on the other hand, you two were practically made for each other and you work amazingly together." She pointed out.

"Yeah, and we've always been that way, but as..." You cut off.

"As friends?" Runa finished. You frowned, your heart sinking a little.

"Yeah." Runa sighed. 

"You know it's a little late to go back on that. You've been betrothed for how long now? Not to mention you two can get pretty romantic with each other. I think you work together as more than just friends these days, even if you aren't official. Well, officially permanent, I mean."