11: Escape Route

11: Escape Route

*******SKY*******

"H-he does?" I ask, my lip quivering trying to hold back tears.

I never cry. EVER. I don't know what's up with me today. Oh yeah, maybe it's the fact that everything I have every known has changed in a heartbeat.

Arnold wipes a year away and drops his glasses accidentally onto the ground. Ben flicks his long shaggy hair over, obviously needing a haircut.

Instinctively, Em bends down to pick up the glasses, not realizing what she's doing until its too late. She stand up, holding the glasses out to him for him to grab. He shivers, falling against the wall as she places the glasses on the glass table making a small clink. He rushes to put them on his face, hoping to see someone.

Looking through the glass widows I see Louis spazzing, trying to decide which tea to order. In the meantime, Niall stuffs his face with the cake pops that Alicia hands him. He doesn't even notice how absolutely gorgeous she is as he stuffs his face with a chocolate mint which I can't help but feel proud of because it's my mom's recipe.

Two open chairs sit in front of Ben and Arnie so I rush to take the one closest to Ben, waving my hand in front of his face to get some air to his petrified face.

"Ben has a crush on me?" I ask myself again, Em probably being able to hear my thoughts.

"C'mon it was obvious," she thinks, flicking her hair off her shoulder.

I thought there was nothing for me to lose. I thought this may have been the beginning of something greater for me.

"Should we drink inside or outside," Liam asks the other boys with his melodic accent, peeking his head out but ducking his head when he sees the group of obnoxious girls across the way, knowing that inside is always better.

I watch them through the window carefully, trying to separate myself from these thoughts. I left my mom. I left Ben. To think, we were both planning to go to the same college. I could have had a relationship with him.

I always told myself that the best thing would be to wait for a good guy to come along. Em made a mistake my dating a senior as a freshman and had her heart crushed. She still feels broken. Ben could have been perfect for me but it's really too late now.

I've even had a real friend until Emilee. I have had friends,sure, but they were really superficial. I could have gotten to know Ben more but I was too nervous to do so.

I stand up quickly, the edge of my belt clinking against the glass, freaking out Arnie even more. Em lifts her head confused, asking me what's up in her head but, without another word, I dash across the road to the bookstore.

Police tape restricts my access to the front of the store but I jump over it in attempts to get to the front door. The wood of the entrance looks as if it has aged tenfold. The windows are moldy and the door handle is bronze with rust.

Did everything just age overnight?

I pause and turn the handle, opening the door to hear it creak so high pitched I can feel my eardrums tearing. I pause halfway after slowly pushing it and writhe in pain but push it past, revealing an empty book shop.

And by empty I mean.... Completely empty. There isn't even a page in sight. The rows of books that I organized were gone, vanished. I roamed through stealthily, expecting anything to come out at me.

The only thing in sight is the armchair Em was sitting in before it all happened. Even her magazine sits there, glossy as new.

I push the magazine, plopping into the chair as a wave of exhaustion waves over me. I close my eyes briefly, going back to the time I could just sit here peacefully after finishing work. Suddenly, a cold breeze makes its way to my neck, making all hairs stand on end as I bolt out of the chair to see....

My brother.

My dead brother.

I open my mouth to say his name but he brings his index to his lips. He opens his mouth slowly. I expect some ghastly voice to creep out but it's perfectly normal.

"It ends how it began," he says, smiling with a nod. "What does that even mean?"I burst, my eyes clouding my sight and judgement.

He takes a step back, going towards the back of the shop. "Jason?" I question, my hands shakily like leaves ready to fall.

"I love you Sky," he seems to float forward as he quickly lunges to kiss my forehead to send millions of chills down my spine to a brief paralyzation. He turns, walking away towards the wall, fading away as quickly as he came.

I finally burst out of my stupor and dash across the street. I run to Em as fast as I can, stopping to breathe hard as I notice the boys leaving. Zayn knocks on the door to open the bus but Liam rushes to Arnie because his eyes are still full of tears with Sky's presence.

"What's wrong?" Liam questions, his face full of sincerity. Arnie quickly tells him the story, making Liam and Niall come close to tears as well as Harry strolls out. "It's just a bump on the roller coaster that is life," Zayn says pensively. I scrunch my face as Em, wondering what it could mean as she fan girls over something of utmost importance.

"I'm so sorry I can't help mate. Stay strong," Liam, Zayn and Harry join Louis on the bus but Niall runs back inside hoping to grab more cake pops and drinks.

"S-S-Sky?" Ben questions, looking at the space where I am. He reaches out to feel me in fear but I grab his hand by the wrist and push it down to the table, holding tight as he squirms and Arnie stares terrified.

"Alright. Listen and listen good. We aren't dead. Neither of us are. Remember that project we did on Nicholas Flamel freshman year? It's all true. You can't see us. We don't know what happened. You just have to help us. Please. We are going to be at Portland on Thursday. Meet us at the concert." He nods his head being able to understand everything completely now.

"EMILEE ISN'T DEAD?" Arnie shouts. Em snatches his mouth, stopping his sentence as Niall begins to exit the line with food.

"Yeah I'm not numb nuts," she scoffs falling into her usual sarcasm.

"Just help us," I plead. Niall rings the bell on the door as he exits, arms full of boxes and bottles.

I bend down quickly, kissing Ben on the nose featherlight. "Do you promise?" I whisper almost seductively. "Always and forever Sky, I'll meet you there," he steps forward in hopes of reaching me again but I back away, running with Em's hand as he get onto the bus at last minute and take off.

_________________________

HEY GUYS!

So

So

So

Sorry I haven't updated in forever.

Senior year is a royal bitch lemme tell you.

I hate college applications. I'm taking the ACT on saturday and that's the major reason I havent updated.

Hope you like this chapter!

As always,

Follow me on twitter @Brilliant_liam

On Instagram at @nospoonsjustcarrots

Or kik me if you want I'm mimster1D

I love my readers dearly!!

~~Millennia!!