New Born ☾

All Rights Reserved ©

B L O O D D R I V E

-Chapter Fourteen-

Once the building of the mall came into view Orlando slowed down his car to match the speed of the ones near him. I watched those ocean eyes only slightly look at his surroundings already making a plan to tell his people.

"Nathan and Jinkia, I want you posted on street called First Avenue and Broadway. I will try to push her towards the south side of the mall and she will have to come this way." Orlando said into a walkie talkie hidden in his sleeve. It would automatically send a voice message when it got close to his ear that had a silver earring.

Orlando was definitely used to being incognito. He would run his hand through his hair when speaking so it seemed like he was fixing his hair and talking to someone over the phone. If anyone set eyes on him, they wouldn't question he wasn't human. Sure he's flashing a lot of wealth to stand out not blend in, but that smile of his brought him back down to earth.

There was a reason their kind was around for so long. They remembered how to be human and little everyday things that they enjoyed as humans were still there. Once they could control their hunger they grew in numbers making them unstoppable. Our world had to adjust to adding a vampire economy while still having to deal with increased laws on both parties.

Orlando was part of the vampires who were smart enough to hide in the shadows of a small town like mine.

But then again, maybe the purpose of him being here specifically was because of my sister. A gulp of realization of how deep into this I already was sounded throughout the silent car. I didn't know his intentions too well so I needed to be careful.

"We spotted her in the balcony rooftop of the mall." Someone spoke into the earphones Orlando had. Because of the blood that slipped into our kiss, I could hear that distant voice from where I was seated.

"Just watch her for now. If she attacks someone then intervene." Orlando ordered. My nerves were getting to me as my hands shook slightly, I had to clench my fists to stop them.

Unexpectedly, Orlando's warm hand unclenched mine and slipped his fingers between them softly. That gesture soothed my worries running around my head that was not spoken but they laid heavily in the thick air.

What if she isn't the same?

Ana wasn't the same giggly child that loved doing little activities with me. She went to heaven briefly before coming back to hell. A world that wants to exploit you for everything you have to offer. Maybe it was better if I had let her go when I had the chance, instead of making her suffer.

"I haven't told you everything I know. The disease your sister died of was sent from the council. Your bloodline was targeted in fear of what you'll become if you are turned into a vampire. Ana was supposed to die and to be honest, technically you and your sister died two days ago." Orlando said before parking the car right outside the mall entrance. Ignoring the beeps from behind he stepped out leaving me in more confusion.

Why was my family targeted to die?

Most importantly, who is the council? These means they killed my parents, tried to kill my sister and countless others. Jan took Orlando's seat in a blink of an eye as I quickly fumbled out of my seatbelt and out the door before she locked it. When I stepped out I saw Orlando was looking up towards the five-story building. A newly built mall donated by a wealthy investor was ringing bells in my head yet again. My parents worked in rebuilding historic buildings donated by investors. Yet, here was this building that destroyed the previous one in order to be built.

"Grab on," Orlando said suddenly making me want to glance up the building. He prevented me from looking by resting his palm against my cheek. "It will only last a couple of seconds to jump against the walls. You can close your eyes if you want."

When he said I might need to hold on I didn't think he meant it. Nodding my head I slipped my arms around his neck from behind so I can press my cheek against his back. I felt myself get pushed off the ground before I became weightless for a couple brief seconds. Next thing I knew my feet were touching the floor again. Quickly letting go, I stepped back noticing there was no one around the tables and chairs. A couple were actually turned over and pushed aside like there was a commotion.

Moving to take a step, I was stopped by Orlando grabbing my arm. Glancing up at him I noticed his eyes stuck in a direction so I followed his gaze. There a couple feet from us stood a dark shadow, only it wasn't a shadow. That long black hair of hers was flowing delicately all around creating a shadow around her. It covered her tiny body with vibrant bloodstained clothes. There was more blood on her than previously.

With Orlando's hold on me, I began to fight against it until he glared down at me with those pretty blue eyes of his before letting his grasp on me go. Motioning to my left with his hand, there I saw a body lying face down completely still. The realization that my sister actually killed someone hit me hard. I wanted to be naive and still believe she would be the same innocent child all this time.

My little sister, Ana, had to be in there. I was going to pull her out even if I get bitten in the process. The harsh smell of blood lying around reminded me what Jan said when she woke up. I was going to need to get used to the site that thirst for blood brings on newborns.