Chapter 67

6 Weeks Later

Draco winced softly as he came to his feet. The brace on his leg creaked as he shifted his weight. It had truly been an amazing stroke of luck that the curse had only caught him below the knee. It would heal in time, though he was warned of the limp that would develop should he not take the time to heal properly.

"Looks like you finally have a purpose for your father's cane." A light-hearted voice filled with mischief turned the blond's head to the bed beside him.

"Very funny, Weasley." Draco threw the twin a dirty look but it truly held no heat, "Already deciding which parlor trick yours is gonna have?"

Fred grinned back, so long now they'd shared bed space in the mass ward to care for the war victims he'd almost considered them cordial, "Yeah, spent the whole night designing little attachments, you know back scratcher, nose picker. Can't have too many nose pickers."

Draco made a face of disgust when the redhead pretended to stick his prosthetic hand up the side of his nose. He'd only lost part of his hand but the brace locked into his forearm for support. He didn't have to wear it, at least not if he didn't care to only use three fingers. Draco, however, had lost the use of his entire foot to the curse before the healers had been able to neutralize it. It was a good thing his aunt was dead or he'd probably go to Azkaban to kill her himself.

Luna lowered her book just in time to see Draco playfully smack at Fred's arm with his hospital issued cane. A small chuckle bubbled up the back of her throat at the scene, happy to see the new alliance. She had been worried at first but as time passed her heart relaxed.

"How are they today?" Neville took the chair beside her bed. While he'd been discharged nearly a week after, he'd stuck around to help the healers in any way he'd been able. It'd also allowed him to stay close to Luna which very much brought him joy.

"The same." Luna handed off her book before coughing softly into her hand. She'd fallen victim to Dolohov's fire curse during the first wave and was scheduled for observation for the rest of the week with strict orders to rest.

"Better than fighting, I guess." Neville chuckled softly before taking her hand into his, bringing the back to his lips earning him another beautiful smile.

"How's Harry and Ron?" Luna knew that they had been working at the castle to try and pass the time.

"They just want information..." Neville absently ran his thumb over the back of her hand, " We all thought she was dead, then... there she was. Like an Angel."

Luna caught his eye with a wistful smile. She gave his hand a gentle squeeze, "Let's go for a walk..."

"When do you think they'll get married?"

Draco turned his head towards the couple before shaking his head, "Aren't they already?"

Fred chuckled as the blond rocked back onto his bed, "Didn't wear you out already did I?"

"No..." Draco winced as he pulled his leg over his lap to adjust the fit around his ankle, "When is your doppelganger bringing more chocolate?"

"Today, you actually going to ask for one this time?" Fred was sure as the day was long that the blond had stolen the last one he had when he'd taken a nap but he didn't have any proof.