Chapter 30

Hermione scrambled up the staircase. The world showing around them having funneled down to more distant memories of what she believed she was touching at the time. Like static on an old television, the world materialized in small chunks with the bodies of her pursuers outlined in white lined shadows like ghosts of a horror film. A heavy smoke filled her lungs from the spell she'd cast to try and conceal her escape making her breaths shallow and loud.

A spell whizzed past her head exploding a black wall forcing her to open her eyes. The image that formed was filled with blood, turning the landing of the stairs red but it was just enough for her to gain her barrings and attempt to get to her feet. Her self-image remained intact through the memory, making the visual all the more haunting.

Her face was completely turned red from the blood the poured from the wound over her eyes. Her body stumbled as a hand came out of nowhere, her reaction to open her eyes once more bringing a full-bodied image into view. A name that she hadn't had before came to her thoughts from the man who pulled the images forward. Scabior. Snatcher.

Before she could even take that new information in, her vision gave out as the memory continued on. The man who now had a body, courtesy of Severus, tried to take hold of her but she was still ready to fight. Her elbow came up, clashing the man's teeth together causing him to stagger. Her fist followed up with a rather heavy punch to his groin as she spun out of his hold completely. Tripping on the runner in the hallway she sent her blood over the wall, another image provided by Severus as he started to connect what he'd seen when he'd gone to her house with what was happening before him now.

"Fucking Bitch!"

"Catch her, you idiot!"

"Exparia!" Hermione rolled onto her back sending out a spell blindly. It missed its target but it definitely slowed her attackers, at least long enough for her to crawl her way towards a doorway and back onto her feet. The smell of apple and cinnamon told her that it was her room and the memory gained more detail.

"Diffindo!"

Hermione's sharp cry filled the room as the back of her knees collapsed, the muscle heavily torn. Her head thumped hard onto her soft area rug protecting her skull from her fall. Hands came from every direction. Too disoriented to know to whom they belonged they appeared in the memory as black featureless humanoid shadows.

"The chair! Bind her to the chair!"

"What are we waiting for? We need to get out of here!"

"The aurors aren't coming, I've got them off somewhere else. Come on!"

Hermione's body was pulled and turned in different directions as she did her best to try and shake off her attackers. That was until a rather hard punch to her temple rocked her entire world. The binds that held her cut deeply into her flesh, leaving her with barely enough room to breathe. When her head was ripped back from the hold on her hair she had just enough sense to spit the blood that had filled her mouth from biting her tongue.

"Where is he?"

The man who Severus could not name was right in front of her now, though her eyes had remained closed, his memory of the man provided him with a face, though his body and clothes were faded into darkness.