Chapter 36

"Now remember, when he's taken the sword press your wand to this." Severus touched his fingers to the golden wing broach in the lapel of her coat, "It will return you to the office where you are to go to the rooms and wait for me."

Hermione took a deep breath turning her head down to look at the pin. It was beautiful by anyone's definition. It looked like the feathers were made of fire and she half wondered if he'd made it as an homage to her new persona, "I understand."

"Under no circumstances are you to communicate with anyone you see." Severus could feel the trepidation wafting through them both. His hand rose to check that the coat he'd given her was warm enough by running his fingers gently between the collar and her jaw.

"Yes, sir..." Hermione licked her bottom lip, lightly chewing on the corner. He'd already gone over the plan twice already and she had even repeated it back to him verbatim. Though despite this, the fear of leaving his side was coiling tight in her stomach. When his hand ran over her pulse she couldn't help but close her eyes and press her lips into his palm for reassurance.

"We are to get in and get out." Severus thumbed her cheek waiting for her to raise her head, "Are you sure you want to come?"

"Yes." Hermione raised her chin, her jaw going tense. She needed this. It was the first step in taking back her life. She didn't know what would follow but she hoped that she would rise well above his expectations.

"Alright..." A deep breath turned his eyes up towards the door leading to the office. He turned away for only a moment pulling the sword of Gryffindor from the wall above the fireplace. When he held it out for her to take he could see something dangerous shining in her eyes, a hunger for power.

Hermione took the sword with great care, though when her fingers wrapped around the golden hilt she could feel a power surging through it. She couldn't resist bringing the blade up as though she were preparing to fight, "I feel invincible..."

"It is merely an illusion." Severus gently pulled the blade back towards the floor but he could already feel her mind turning. Thankfully, his words seemed to remind her that she was standing on borrowed time and she snapped the blade into place at her hip for easier carrying.

"Let's go." Her hand folded tightly into his palm. His strength, her willingness, mixing together to create a new force of power.

oOo

"Is he close?" Ron let out a heavy yawn. He'd been walking for hours. His back hurt, his feet hurt, everything hurt. The night was long, the shadows growing tall. His breath came out in small puffs as the season's chill descended.

"Yes. Keep sharp."

oOo

Harry tossed another rock just outside of the small protection ward he'd been able to set up. Something he was sure he should have been doing from the beginning only he hadn't known how until he'd read Hermione's journal.

Even from the grave, she was helping him. Keeping him safe. It pained him to know just how much he'd taken her for granted. How much he'd relied on her instead of seeking the answers for himself. How often he'd only half listened when she'd explained something. How the world seemed a bit darker without her kind smile.

A slow mournful tear ran down his cheek before he angrily brushed it away. It was his fault. All of this. How he wished he could take it all back.