Chapter 63

"This is impossible..."

"Nothing is impossible."

"The war is going to be over before we even find it!" Draco kicked a trunk making the entire stack groan, the ominous sway made him skitter back a little but the scowl on his face only grew deeper.

Hermione sighed heavily pushing a stray hair back from her face. She had to concede to some of his frustration, "Maybe we're looking at this from the wrong angle."

"What shou-"

"Quiet." Hermione's ears twitched as a low sound ran up the back of her neck. She closed the distance between them, closing her eyes to focus more on the sound.

"What are you-" Draco grunted when her hand covered his mouth, his own rising to rip it away before his own ears picked up something. A small flush ran down his chest when she pushed past him, her hair tickling the bottom of his chin.

Hermione turned the corner carefully, her wand up at the ready. Her eyes narrowed as her ears told her that there should be something to see. A slow breath stilled her body as she allowed her senses to take over. Footsteps, shuffling and slow, cautious and inquisitive. Two sets, moving slowly. A low murmur ruffled the air but it was impossible to make out their words.

"I think your friends have woken up." Hermione turned to look back over her shoulder, keeping her voice lower than a whispering wind, "Are you ready to step over the line?"

Draco swallowed thickly, his eyes narrowed with concern. He had spoken from the heart but his will to see his words through was wavering. It was too soon, too much to process. His heart was thumping through every vein in his skull as he came into her shadow. His height allowed him to look over the top of her head to follow her line of sight.

"Yeah...I...I can do this..." Draco let out the breath he'd been holding when she moved forward, her stance low and silent. He could hardly believe that this was the same girl he'd gone to school with. The same girl that he'd made a mockery of sending her running off in tears. His hand came to his jaw as he remembered just how early she'd come to push back against everything he stood for. Did stand for.

Hermione looked back over her shoulder holding her hand out for him to stay put while she moved around to get a better position. If she could flank them and separate them, she'd have a better chance of taking them out—permanently. Once she was sure he would stay as she directed she moved further to the left, using the tall stacks to obscure her movement.

"Come on...show yourself..." Hermione used a space in one of the stacks to monitor any movement—finally, after a long pause, she was just able to make out a wand coming around a bend. Her own rose as she waited for them to show themselves before a loud bang from the other end of the room startled all within. The figure she'd been tracking hastily turned obscuring her shot and a low curse passed her lips.

"We're not alone." Hermione looked back where she'd left Draco only to find that he'd not heeded her command to stay put. A sharp snarl covered her lips and she pushed herself up. No doubt whoever just joined them was looking for the same thing they were. Problem was, were they friend or foe?

oOo

Harry tilted his head back in awe at the room around him, so many lost treasures in one room. It seemed endless, boundless and impossible to search. How could he ever complete the task set before him? The castle was beginning its preparations, many had come to stand and fight. Their lives all weighing on his shoulders—his ability to complete the task at hand. A literal needle in a haystack.

"Alright, stay close. Luna, Ginny?"

"We're right behind you." Luna gave Harry a gentle smile, her wand turning in her hand. She'd made the unilateral decision to stay by the elder boy's side. Though Neville had begged with her to flee with the others she had remained firm in her willingness to fight. She'd encouraged Neville to follow McGonagall down to the front doors while she promised to stay with Harry, give him the support he needed in completing his task.