Chapter 62

A/N: Many apologies for the immense delay. Many things have happened—hospital, planes— but I should be back in action here. If a bit slow. Take heart. Kind Regards-R

War was on its way. A few more hours of daylight remained before all hell was sure to break loose. The air was heavy with the energy creeping into the forest. The life therein fleeing for their lives leaving nothing but silence over the grounds.

Draco walked with intense purpose. His eyes narrowed and his jaw tight. He knew that his only chance to survive was to seek the counsel of the man hidden away in the headmaster's tower. Not only his own life hung in the balance but that of his mother's as well.

He had already grieved for his father though he still breathed. He had long since understood that it was his father who had placed them at the boots of a madman and knew that the possibility of saving him from the man's heavy step would be impossible.

He had overheard the Carrows talking about their 'new' assignment. How they had been sent on a virtual needle in a haystack sort of scavenger hunt. He knew of what they were meant to be protecting but not of where they'd be guarding it as they had moved away before he'd been able to learn.

His only course was to do as he was now. He'd been meaning to confront his godfather on his discovery regardless. All these weeks, endlessly pondering what it could have meant. He knew the Granger girl had been killed many months ago. He had been sure of it. Draco had overheard the gloating men when they'd returned. It was impossible to fathom that she had been able to hide away all this time...Then again...

His head tilted back to look up at the grand statue barring his way. How heavy his heartfelt to stand before it, knowing that all he'd ever known in his time there was going to come crashing down in a sea of fire and stone.

"Asphodel."

As soon as the gargoyle jumped aside he made his way down the small hallway leading to the door. It wasn't so late but he knew of all those who stood watch this fateful night his Godfather was among them. Or so he prayed.

The fear that he'd already been called away by their Dark Master's side was tingling in the back of his mind. Yet still, he found the strength to push his feet forward. Would they stand at the front? Would the be forced to kill all those whom they had considered at one time to be alleys? How many of his classmates would he be forced to remove from this earth? Would be found out? Would the Dark Lord force his own father to take him out?

Young youthful eyes so deadened by the worlds bigger problems turned about the near silent and darkened room. The young man's heart dropping further and further with each step that he took into the grand space.

The portraits on the wall had all gone. Perhaps sensing what was to come? Abandoning their post? His feet brought him through the barrier, of which he barely felt the tingle signaling its presence; his eyes looking upon the cleared desk in reverence.

It was in his deep moment of pensive that a small click gathered his attention. He turned on his heel unaware that his previous observation that the room was vacant was false. The heavy blue eyes following the boy's movements with such sorrow.

Draco ran his fingers down the small carvings over the door that he'd surely seen before. His body had moved as though guided by another but it was solely his choice whether or not he was to see what lie beyond. His fingers trembled as he clasped the handle before a stern look pushed everything down.