Chapter 17

Darcey had only ever held two jobs in his life: one in high school as a cashier at a tea shop and his career in the military. Neither had anything to do with the work he was looking for now, and although his discharge wasn't fully dishonorable, it was under dishonorable conditions, and anyone who knew what that meant probably wouldn't want to call him back if they found out. Doc wouldn't tell them that, would he? He wouldn't have agreed to be a reference if he didn't have anything good to say. But would he be legally required to tell them if they asked? If not, it would show in a background check, right?

Darcey sighed, gently tapping the corner of his phone against the table. He cleared the scratching tickle from his throat and checked the time. 2:34. Brett would still be in class for a while.

He flipped open the student course catalogue in front of him and leafed through it, doing quick calculations in his head to see how much a single class would cost based on number of credit hours.

None of them were affordable. He would probably have to go to a community college if he only wanted one or two classes, and with culinary school out of his reach, he didn't know what his other options were. For so many years, there hadn't been another option: school at the Culinary Institute of America was it. It was what everything was slowly leading toward. But there was no way he could afford it without his GI Bill, so he had to find something else and move on. He sighed, wiping at his eyes. He'd been so tired these past two weeks, all the time, a bone-deep exhaustion he couldn't shake no matter how much sleep he got. Was he having nightmares and just forgetting them upon waking? He knew he wasn't getting enough hours of sleep, but it felt like the few he did manage were useless, anyway.

Ever since that day in the park three weeks ago, it had been like there was an invisible, unspoken deadline looming over him. He didn't know when it was or what it was for, but he knew this feeling. Like he was running out of time, like he had to do everything he wanted and needed to do now or he might never be able to. He had seconds to pull the trigger and whether he survived depended on how fast he made his decision.

He glanced back down at the catalogue, reading through the language section. Maybe he could take a Korean or Arabic class to keep his skills sharp, if not here, then somewhere else.

The student union was quiet. It was a peak class time, so only a handful of people sat scattered about the tables studying.

Darcey pulled out his phone and idly sent Jordan a text.

If you were going to take a foreign language class, what would it be?

He didn't expect a response. Jordan had worked last night and it was late for him. He got one anyway, though Jordan's grammar and spelling were sloppier than usual.

Probably French I already speak Spanish and Einglish so let' go for the trifecta right?

Darcey smiled and chuckled, picturing Jordan half asleep with his phone pressed up against his nose as he texted so he could see the letters properly. His phone beeped again with another reply.

Oh Italian would probably be really awesome too. It's still fancy and sexy sounding but way easier to pronounce than French and I am lazy. Also it's like Spanish lil sibliling so super easy to learn! And again I am lazy.

Darcey laughed and shook his head, sending back another text.

Go to bed, Jordan. You clearly need sleep.

Just moments later, he replied.

You can't tell me what to do! But okay you're right sleep would be awesome right now. Goodnight or morning or whatever you say when you go to sleep in the middle of the day. <3 Is it okay if I call you when I wake up? I work tonight but maybe we can get in a quick cup of coffee or something.