𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞

"molly?" paul began with an almost nervous manner.

"yes, paulie?" molly sneered. he twitched at his name.

"there's uh... something i'd like to ask you,"

molly sat up completely to face him. he shifted around on his floatie. "yes?"

"well, umm... would you erm... like come for dinner at my house next friday evening?" he managed to choke out through utters.

"what?" molly didn't quite hear him, so she drifted herself closer to him.

"would you want to have dinner with me next week?" he looked into her eyes and smiled.

molly grinned. "sure! i'd love that! what time should you pick me up? seven? no, that's early! eight? yes, eight should do... i'll have plenty of time to gather an outfit. i could bring snacks if you want," molly began rambling again.

"no, molly. i mean, like, on a date." paul said.

"oh... a date..." she pushed a strand of hair behind her ear. there was only silence before she finally said, "well, i suppose. i don't see why not..."

paul mentally and internally started cheering himself on. outside, he was rock solid, but inside, he was practically screaming.

*

"a date?" molly's mother yelled. "with him?"

"yes, mother," molly sighed. "just dinner with paul— can i go?" her mother frantically looked to the left of her for eduardo, but soon remembered he already left for work.

it was only three days after paul asked, and molly planned on asking her mother only when she needed to.

"erm... i'll have to confirm it with your f- eduardo." molly's mother rubbed her hands together nervously as she folded the laundry.

"why? he's not my father. he shouldn't have any say in what i do."

her mother looked visibly shocked. "i'll have you know, i console with him on all of my situations!" she explained.

"so i'm just a situation, now?" molly crossed her arms. she and her mother were in the living room on the couch.

"molly, don't twist my words! you know what i mean! if you really want to go, then fine!" molly raised her eyebrows. "just don't come crying to me when he breaks your heart, because i won't be here." molly's eyebrows instantly went down in disappointment.

"but-"

"no, molly. i'm sick of you being so naive. you're beginning to act like a child!"

of course, her mother would say something like that. she couldn't say she expected the reaction she got, but she knew it wouldn't be good.

molly got up and ran back upstairs, not a care in the world for her mother downstairs, flinging herself onto her bed in a heap of tears.

molly wasn't sensitive to many things, but her mother was different. she always looked up to her when she was younger because she was shielded from the truth, but now that her mother didn't hold herself back and showed her true colours, molly became embarrassed that she even loved her.

eduardo completely changed molly's mother, and not in a good way. her mother became hostile and spiteful over the past years.

molly looked up from her bed to see a mop of brown hair right outside her bedroom window. it was george! he had a wide smile on his face as he looked at her.