Chapter One

20 years ago
10 year old Ryan Tanner is walking home from 5th grade and sees a beat up girl on the side of the road. Ryan walks over to her.
"I'm Ryan Tanner. What's your name?" Ryan asked.
"Sofia Johnson." Sofia said.
"What happened to you?" Ryan asked.
"M-my dad hit me. More than once." Sofia said.
"My dad is a cop. He can help. Come with me." Ryan said.
Sofia lets out a tear. Ryan puts out his hand. Sofia grabs her book bag and Ryan's hand. They walk to Ryan's house.
"Dad!" Ryan yelled from the bottom of the stairs.
Greg runs down.
"What happened?" Greg asked.
"Sofia Johnson was sitting on the ground in front of her house. She said her dad hit her more than once." Ryan said.
"Where's your house?" Greg asked.
"2 blocks from here. Um I can't think of the address. My head hurts too much." Sofia said.
"Can you describe it for me?" Greg asked.
"Brick. Brown roof. 33." Sofia said.
"We came from the left side." Ryan said.
"Ryan stay here with her. You can get Andy if you want. Call me if you have any problems." Greg said.
Greg goes to Sofia's house and pounds on the door until someone opens the door.
"Yes?!" A drunk guy opens the door.
"Mr Johnson?" Greg asked.
"Yes. What do you want?" Mr Johnson asked.
"You're under arrest for hitting a minor and battery. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to speak to an attorney, and to have an attorney present during any questioning. If you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be provided for you at government expense." Greg said.
Greg brings Mr Johnson into the station.
"What do we have here?" Police Captain asked.
"He hit a minor." Greg said.
"Do you have prove?" Police Captain asked.
"Yes. She's at my house." Greg said.
"At your house?" Police Captain said.
"Ryan found her sitting on the side of the road." Greg said.
"We have to bring her in and call child protective services." Police Captain said.
"I'll ask Pruitt if he can drive them here." Greg said.
Five minutes later Pruitt walks in with Ryan, Sofia and Andy.
"Can you watch Andy? I need to get back." Pruitt said.
Greg nods. Andy hugs Pruitt and he goes. Child protective services (CPS) get here.
"I'm here for Sofia Johnson?" CPS worker said.
"She's talking to an officer now. But I have a question regarding her." Greg said.
"Ok?" CPS worker said.
"Can I take her in? Instead of her going into foster care." Greg said.
"You'll have to fill out paperwork." CPS worker said.