Prolouge

It was a cold winters day. Not the snowy kind of cold. But the cold that makes you want to stay in bed wrapped in several blankets cold. Not a great morning to wake up to. I poked my hand out of the duna hesitantly to check the time on my phone. Ten thirty-two. It was a Saturday. A particularly cold Saturday. I couldn't care less what my phone had to say. To me. It was one in the morning and the only thing that forced me out of bed, was the promising smell of pancakes in the kitchen. I slid slowly off my bed and sleepily dragged myself into the kitchen. "Happy birthday Harriet!" My little sister Anna squealed. Oh thats right. It was my eighteenth birthday today. I mentally face palmed. "Thanks Anna." I smiled widely at her. "Harriet I made pancakes!" My mum said happily. I hoped dad would pop out from some where but then remembered. He's dead.

I pushed the thought out of my mind and gave my mum a small smile. She already had a lopsided stack of pancakes on the table. They were completely smothered in maple syrup. Just how I liked it. I grabbed a knife and fork, and sat down. "Oh and Nik called. He said he was coming at eleven." Mum countinued.

"Ok." I replied. I finished my food quickly and ran to my room. I threw on blue jeans and a white long sleeved shirt with a singlet underneath. Then I added a purple turtle neck, just to be safe. Yep. It was that cold.