Prologue

This is a draft of the story that I am currently writing.  Guys, please bear in mind that this is in the process of being edited, so pardon me if you notice sudden tense changes and grammatical errors.  Just enjoy it for what it is, and, should you wish to leave a comment, please do so nicely.  We are all friends here.  Thank you!  :D

P.S.  Please Vote.   

© rainthereader 2012 All Rights Reserved

Prologue

It was a night to remember.

The Bay was always at its busiest on Saturdays.  Clinking wine glasses and champagne flutes could be heard around the elegantly-decorated room.  Waiters in their fine, black shirt uniforms roamed around the black-and-gold carpeted floor, stopping at well-dressed customers to politely take their orders, others to serve their sumptuous meals.

The famous restaurant was situated on the top floor of one the best and oldest hotels in San Francisco.  It boasted an impressive view of the Golden Gate Bridge and the twinkling lights of the magnificent city.  They were well-known for their delectable seafood dishes and had the finest collection of wine.  It was a full house every day of the week, and reservations must be made a month beforehand.  

In the middle of the dining area, under a tastefully designed, fifty-year-old, glass chandelier sat a beautiful woman in a sleek, black dress.  Sporting a pixie-cut auburn hair, with eyes crinkled from laughter and cheeks rosy with delight, she was a vision.  A number of customers, men and women alike, watched her with fond interest.  She charmed the people in the room with her breath-taking smile.  And with her contagious mood, some guests couldn’t help but chuckle in their own seats . 

A well-built, handsome man was the reason for her amusement.   His long, strong fingers held a pen, scribbling something on the palm of her left hand.  His face was serious, eyebrows crunched together and eyes concentrating on a very important task. 

"Are you writing down your number?  Don't you think it’s a little too late for that?  Hey, stop it!  It tickles!"  

Trying to conceal his mirth, he replied sternly. "Keep still."

She was fighting to control her laughter while he wrote on her palm, but she was already getting impatient.

"What's that?  I wanna see.  C'mon, it's my hand, mister!"

"Wait, don't move. I'm almost done.”

“Tick-tock.”

“Okay.  There."  And he let her take her hand back.

She paused, reading.  Three words were written there.  And the smile on her face was quickly replaced with tears forming in her eyes.  Looking up at him with nervousness visible in her features, she asked with a tremble in her voice, "What's this?"

"That's what we're gonna name our baby."

"And the other one?"

"I don't know the answer to that.  Do you?"  He inquired back, his eyes solemn.

"Yes," she whispered.

"Yes?"

"Yes, I will marry you," she answered blissfully, throwing her arms around him for an embrace while tears flowed down her cheeks.

Burrowing his face on her neck, he closed his eyes and whispered, "I love you, sweetheart.  Happy anniversary."

                                                                **********                                                              

The newly-engaged couple were driving across the hotel after their eventful dinner when the woman remembered something.  "Oh no, I forgot my bag. I need to get back up.  I hope it's still there."

"I'll come with you."  The man pulled over and turned the engine off, starting to unbuckle his seatbelt.

"No, no, it's okay. We don't need to pay for another parking ticket.  I'll be quick."  She hastily reached for the door.

"Okay, just hurry back to me.  And baby?"

The woman turned around to face her fiancé once more and looked at him with love in her eyes.  "Yes?"

"I love you.  Always," he whispered.

"Always," she said softly, smiling.

Speedily going out of the car, she crossed the street to the entrance of the hotel and walked inside.  He watched from afar as her slender form stepped inside the elevator.

Twenty floors, he thought longingly, impatiently but happily tapping the steering wheel.

But then, all of a sudden, the ground shook hard.