Chapter 32

Pure brilliant light, so bright it made her squint as she moved toward it, silhouetted two waving figures. From the way they were dressed, Adie could see they were male and female. They looked vaguely familiar and acted as if they knew her. Confused, she looked around to try and get her bearings. Far below, a crowd of men stood huddled in a group, openly weeping. Because it was such a strange sight, she hesitated in her ascension to see why, not noticing or caring that she was floating.

All of a sudden, the group moved back to form a circle around three figures. As one stood, stepping away from the other two, she caught sight of her own body, blood soaked and lifeless. Devon backed away until he reached the edge of the circle of men. Kevin kissed her forehead tenderly before turning on Devon with a look that promised he would suffer.

There was no sound to accompany the vision.

Devon raised his hands in front of his body in an attempt to ward off Kevin's purposeful approach. The crowd of shifters offered him no shelter among their ranks, pushing him forward so he fell to his knees at Kevin's feet.

Devon begged.

Five orbs of pale-blue light shot up and spun around Adie, whispering so faintly she could make out that they spoke but not what they said.

"I can't hear you," Adie said, signalling her ears with a shake of her head.

"Mmm mumble, Adrianne Charlotte Anne Williams... Is that better? Can you hear us now?" the first orb asked hovering in front of her face.

"Eliza? Is that you?"

"Yes, now shush and listen."

"It is not my fault! Isobel killed her not I," Devon cried, shuffling away from Kevin on his knees.

"And you are above reproach? Is that what you're saying?" Kevin demanded.

"You could have opened a vain and fed her your blood. Then she would rise again as one of us. So it is your fault she is dead."

Adie gasped. "That arrogant, egotistical, self-centred bastard! How can he sit there and blame everyone else for his failure?" Temper flaring, she unconsciously moved toward Devon. "That's it buster, the deal is off! Tonight you die. Permanently."

Pouncing before Devon could blink, Kevin had him pinned beneath him. With a speed that blurred to human eyes, he pummelled him. With every ounce of pent up anger he possessed, Kevin tore his sire apart, not stopping until he held his heart in his hand.  He raised it above his head in triumph, catching sight of Adie's spirit descending toward him.

He smiled as his eyes filled again, this time with pride. "He can't hurt you anymore."

Floating down to kneel in front of him, she cupped his cheek. "You did good. He can't hurt anyone anymore."

Eliza materialized to the side, followed by the other four Shaman. She pointed to the sky and shook her head. "You've missed your passing. I'm afraid you're stuck here like the rest of us."

"That's not so bad is it?" Adie asked.

Harmony stepped forward and took her hands, bringing her to her feet. She mumbled incoherently for a moment before smiling. "It wasn't your time anyway. You're bound to Mother Earth by your sister and as long as she walks you will remain here, however long that may be." 

"Okay, so I'm a ghost then?"

"A spirit or a lost soul perhaps," Eliza clarified.

"So what do I do now?"

"Whatever you like. Continue what you were doing before that cretin got involved with you. You still have your Shaman powers, but you must use them wisely or the shadows may come looking for you."

"So I can go home? To Ireland?"

"Wherever you want."

Kevin scrambled to his feet. "No, please don't leave me, Adie. Stay with me?"

"You could come with me," Adie suggested. "Take my body to Rick and tell him... Wait, maybe I should tell him what happened first."

Harmony laughed and took her hand again. "Probably a good idea to visit him in a dream first, otherwise you'll scare the life out of him. Now, one last thing before you go, do you remember the book I mentioned before?" Adie nodded. "I managed to find it and left it in the caves for you. There's also another tome that mentions the enchantress, but that has to do with a demon so probably not of any interest..."

"Wait. The demon, please tell me his name is Lucien mast..."

"Argh don't say his name."

"Oh yeah, I forgot. Is it him?"

"It refers to a man who was cast into Hell by the god Poseidon, why?"

Bouncing with excitement, Adie squealed. "That sounds like the one I'm looking for. I can't wait to go home, this trip has been one huge headache."

"And then some," Eliza agreed.